Author Topic: Newby questions  (Read 2884 times)

AndyWhitson

Newby questions
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:41:01 PM »
Ok I've done the predator calls and the duck calls and I have them down pretty good. Thought I would make some Turkey Pot Calls. School me a bit on the terminology if you would please. I know there is the "friction surface" on top that you rub the striker on to create the sound and the "sound board" underneath the friction surface. Are these two things interchangable or are they seperate entities. When I go to Brookside game calls website they have sound boards and slate listed in the shop by category column on the left of the page. Can the sound boards be used for the friction surface or are they just made to go under the friction surface and not meant to used for a friction surface?
Thanks
Andy

B.Meuchel

Re: Newby questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »
The majority of pots use a 3 1/2” playing surface and a 3” sound board. Slate playing surface and a glass sound board is a great place to start, it sounds good and is fairly forgiving for a first call. The different types of materials can be used in either place, different combos for different sounds.

AndyWhitson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »
Thanks. Another question. There used to be some pictures on this site with pot call dimensions but seem lost probably due to the Photobucket issue. What is the distance between the bottom of the friction surface and the top of the sound board? Is that a critical dimension or does everyone make that distance different?
Thanks
Andy

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Yes, the distance between the playing surface and soundboard is absolutely critical, but open to experimentation.  A good starting point is to keep it around 1/8" to 3/16". 

Definitely read through the tutorials.  There is some fantastic info there.  This thread is a good place to start http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,10127.0.html