Author Topic: Tru oil  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Corey @ Cutt Above Calls

• New Forum Member
Tru oil
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »
How long are y'all letting the truoil sit on your pots? How durable have y'all noticed it is? How about for 1st coat, 2nd, 3rd etc. For a nice durable finish. I have a bottle of this stuff and thought I'd see what it's like this week. Also trying .CA to compare the two.

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Tru oil
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:25:11 PM »
About 2 hrs or so seems to be dry for me.  I have no idea how durable it is as I've just started using it and havent had anything in the field yet.  CA is definitely very durable but is a pain on pots...very worth it though.  I think the happy medium for ease of application and durability would go to spar.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
Thin the first coat of Tru Oil for better penetration. Depending on the wood you might get by with a couple more coats. Tru Oil is a gunstock finish and is very durable and easy to refinish/repair. Just clean it up with mineral spirits, buff lightly with steel wool and add another coat. I keep 2 bottles of Tru Oil on the bench. One is thinned and the other is new. I use the thinned for the first and final coats. The thinned finish levels out a little better for the final coat.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
I have had good results from applying a couple coats of Teak Oil first, then finishing it up with Tru-Oil
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls