Author Topic: Anyone interested in making a pot call out of this for me?  (Read 4209 times)

bnew17

Anyone interested in making a pot call out of this for me?
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »
This is a Eastern Red Cedar (i believe) at some property of mine. Would the curly trunk part make a pot call? I was checking to see if anyone would be interested or able to make me a pot call out of this wood? We can talk price or if the wood i have is good, i could trade out more blanks.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Anyone interested in making a pot call out of this for me?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 08:37:47 AM »
Is the tree dead or green? I would make a call for you but the wood needs to be dry and drying red cedar has it’s pit falls. Even if the tree is dead if you air dry the wood it would be probably be a year before it would be dried enough to use for a call.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

bnew17

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
Is the tree dead or green? I would make a call for you but the wood needs to be dry and drying red cedar has it’s pit falls. Even if the tree is dead if you air dry the wood it would be probably be a year before it would be dried enough to use for a call.

Larry

Larry, this is green wood. I will be cutting it down soon. What is the best way to keep it from splitting once i cut it down to dry?

I do have some i cut down 7-8 years ago that is in logs and some spmit into quarters. Its not curly like in the picture though. It would have a straighter grain. It was actually from a tree that was beside the one in the picture. Would it make a good call? I can show you pictures if you would like.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:08:47 AM »
Red Cedar is a great wood to make calls from. It does split quite easily though. After cutting you need to seal both ends with wax, anchor seal, or several coats of latex paint. Move to an area that is not to hot and too dry. Dry the wood slowly to prevent checking. Picture of the other wood would help to determine if it can be used.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF