Author Topic: My first Turkey Pot Call  (Read 4859 times)

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
My first Turkey Pot Call
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
This past week, I had to take a few mins away from customer's orders to build something a little different. I guess my mind needed a quick break.

I have been researching pot call construction here on the forum for probably a year. I've tried to read every construction thread and how-to that I possibly could. I learned so much and so many different good methods, I really think my biggest issue was deciding which was the best for me.

I actually built 2 pots. The one in the photos is the one that runs well, and I've got another that is pretty, but well, it won't see the light of day or any camera. The first one was a learning experience, just as I expected it to be. I warped it, keeping it too close to a heat source as I burnt the bois d'arc, while giving it character. Looks cool, but warped the pot and made a mess of it as I glued it up.

The pot in the pic is pretty doggone good for a 2nd run. It runs well, is pretty nicely made and I would not be embarrassed to put it in the hands of any of my friends. I still have loads to learn, and really need to work on my process, as I definitely don't have that anywhere near 'down and pat'. However, it was a lot of fun and I definitely have a call to run in the woods!

There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: My first Turkey Pot Call
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »
Good looking pot and the striker looks good also.  Try some different strikers on that first one before you trash it. Purple heart works well on just about any surface.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:03 PM »
Good looking call Jeremy! I had the same issue early on while burning some hedge. Try to turn the outside of the pot shape and the burn it before you take out the wood for the shelf and pedestal. Leaving the wood solid while You burn it helps to keep it from warping. Let it cool and then take out the reminder of wood. If it did warp slightly, you should be able to turn it out while making your shelf and pedestal. Hope the helps.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips y'all.

Fred, I'd read that purpleheart is good and I think I may have a stash of it somewhere in my duckcall blanks.....

Wayne, that is great. Will try that on one of my next pots!

B Hoover

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
I have been researching pot call construction here on the forum for probably a year

Hats off to you, Jeremy!  I did the same with each call I attempted.  I think there is just about as much enjoyment in the research and trial and error as there is in the finished product.

Good looking call!  If I could add a couple tips, as Wayne suggested, turn the outside of the pot first.  I would then turn the inside of the call part way and set aside for a day or two to allow the wood to relax.  Chuck it back up, true the top and finish the inside.  You also stated that you made a mess with the glue.  Grab a few small medical syringes.  It's much easier (and cleaner) applying the glue with them.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 09:16:11 AM »
Thanks much Brent. I'll definitely try reversing my process on the next to see if it allows the pot to stay true (thankfully this one has). I know reversing it would definitely be easier than what I did!

Great suggestion on the glue application. I think I have some small syringes from a vet that might be perfect for the job. I also found that acetone cleans up the glue pretty well, so I'm guessing I might be able to re-use the syringes with a little acetone cleanup....

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »
Jeremy,
I squeeze out the reminder of goop from the syringe, then run cold tap water through it and the water will solidify the goop to the point that you can peel it out. I then squeeze water through the sqringe with the plunger. Works for me.
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
Wayne, that is much better than acetone. Will try it!

B.Meuchel

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:15 PM »
The pharmacy counter at Walgreens will give you some for free if you want to give it a test run. They have them for giving kids liquid medicine. Get the smallest ones, something like 5ml I think.

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »
Good looking call. Save your first one to look back on later.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett