Author Topic: Help with router set up  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Corey @ Cutt Above Calls

• New Forum Member
Help with router set up
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:17:08 AM »
Hey yall, i am a new member but have wondered here for a while now. Id like to first of all thank everyone for the help yall gave others that also benefited me. I currently turn my calls but have entertained venturing into the router path. So I have hardware question..i know very little about routers fyi so be gentle lol.

What set up would I need?
Router size and power. (fixed or moveable?)
Im assuming a good table.
What bits?
Is there a best bit size (1/4 or 1/2?)

Any best bang for the buck recommendations?

I maybe a ways off from getting to this but I would like to slowly acquire the items I need. I would plan to make jigs to guide my calls when building them. My main purpose in pursuing this route is speed and consistency. I don't foresee giving up turning, but id like to sell calls and would like to produce the same call each time. I'm fairly meticulous and right now a pot with striker takes me about 2 hours to turn because I stop and measure a lot. Ive read router guys producing them in under 10 mins. With a baby and a job that demands weekly overtime and other life responsibilities i'm trying to figure out a good way to avoid making people wait on a long list.
 :thanks:

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
Re: Help with router set up
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
I have many years of experience with routers, using them to build cabinets and fabricate Corian countertops.
 Building a jig and the following the jig pattern with a collet screwed to the base or a router bit with a bearing designed for this purpose is what a router is built for.
 In my shop I have a half dozen large 1/2 routers and more in 1/4 inch. For the work you are considering I’d think you’ll want to start with a 1/2 inch and be sure it comes with a adapter to change from 1/2 - 1/4 shaft bits.
Cupped Wings!

Offline Corey @ Cutt Above Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Would a 1hp router be proficient or do I need more power? Is fixed base ok since I'd have to buy a table? I'm assuming the collet chuck to make moving the bit depth easier?

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
Here’s a picture of a router base with a guide bushing screwed to the base, the bushing is sized to give a close tolerance to the bit you’re using.
 All routers bases move up and down to control depth of cut. Two types of routers, one you screw the base to adjust the depth of cut. The other type is a plunge cutter, it is a spring loaded base that moves up or down and has a cam to lock the base into position.
 I’d suggest that for routing deep pockets like in a turkey call a 1 hp would be a minimum.
 Take a look at he different models, some are unwieldy due to size.

Cupped Wings!