Author Topic: Pedestal nightmares  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Emery Plumley

• New Forum Member
Pedestal nightmares
« on: March 01, 2018, 08:14:59 AM »
My batting average right now is probably for every 3 pots I start, at least 1, possibly 2 I crack the pedestal with the chuck holding it from the inside.

My I.D. is .75 so I have been making my O.D at 1.00. At first I thought I was just over tightening the chuck, and that was part of the problem. I either get it to tight, or too loose.

On another pot, I bumped my pedestal O.D. to 1.10, give it some more meat, but I really don't like the sound.

The crack isn't big, but its still a crack.

So my question really is, am I making this pedestal wall thickness way to thin, or am I just overlooking something really simple. I just hate to keep wasting blank after blank.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Pedestal nightmares
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
Hopefully Vince or one of the other turkey masters will come along and see this and help you out.  I'll see if I can point someone over here.

Al @ THO

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:12:26 AM »
Is your pedestal cracking as you are tightening the chuck or while turning?  My first pots had a similar sized pedestal and I definitely broke a few from simply over-tightening the chuck.  it took some practice to figure out how to tighten it just right to keep the pot from flying off the lathe and the pedestal from breaking

Offline Emery Plumley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:22:41 AM »
Ive had a few crack from over tightening. I honestly think I am cranking on it way to much when it is a solid piece of wood, then once I turn the inside, taking material off, it is creating a weak point and cause the crack. I think I just have to find the sweet spot, guess I am a little leary of it flying off

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »
Build yourself a screw chuck. Screw the wood blank to a 3 inch face plate, turn the diameter, true the face and drill and tap the center for the rod.  Mine is 3 inch diameter the same as the faceplate and about 2 inches thick.

Just tap the center hole in the pot blank and screw it on. Hollow it out and leave the pedestal. Turn it around to do the back.  I use a 3/8 course thread and a piece of 3/8 "all thread". Drill out the pedestal with a forstner bit to finish.
I drill the sound holes in the back of the blank before I mount it on the chuck to begin.

Fred

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:16:24 AM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

B.Meuchel

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:59:03 PM »
There is definitely a fine line with it being too tight. I get mine just good and snug when I grab the inside of my ped. It can come loose so I usually double check it every time I shut the lathe down for a measurement or to sand with the grain.

When I start out I glue a poplar waste block to the back and turn between centers to get the waste block centered. Then I can grab that to turn the entire inside. Flip it around and that’s when I grab the inside of the ped, now just remove the waste block with a scrapers and shape the back.

What wood are you using?

Offline Emery Plumley

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
I turned a pot last night, and made sure to be extra sure I didn't make it too tight and checked it multiple times, and it worked out fine.

Osage orange seems to be the worst of having this happen.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
I would look at the idea of turning off of a 3/4” brass or steel mandrel with a flat backer.  A mandrel is a lot easier to add precise pressure to.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls