Author Topic: Melamine Lacquer  (Read 3470 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Melamine Lacquer
« on: February 26, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
Anyone tried melamine lacquer as a finish for calls?  I've read a little on the internet and it seems like it'd be worth trying.  Thought I'd ask my fellow THO'ers before I place an order.

ben

Re: Melamine Lacquer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
James''

Wish I could have a comment but am not familiar with it at all.
You might check the manufacturer of the product and see if it is an exterior product, will bug sprat have an effect on it and etc.
Wish I could be of more help.

ben

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
I ordered some today, Ben.  I'll do some tests when it comes in and post back here with what I find.

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »
I'm interested to hear about this as well. Melamine is typically a countertop product? Is this a lacquer for spraying Melamine countertops? If so, I'd think it would be pretty resilient and 'food safe'.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

ben

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
Look forward for the feed back.

ben

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
Jeremy, it's a wipe or brush on lacquer.  There is a spray version.  But, I went with the liquid form.  Also got the cellulose sealer that's recommended to use with it.  What made me interested in it is that I read an article about a guy who uses it for pen finishes.  Supposedly, he's able to apply it while his pen is on the lathe and it dries very quickly so he can complete multiple layers all at once and build up a shiny finish.  I'm sure there's a learning curve to be able to apply it correctly so we'll see how dummy proof it is.  My biggest concern is how well it will hold up to the stresses we put a call through.