Author Topic: Making a turkey Tongue Call???  (Read 5507 times)

Offline John @ Mad Baron CC

• New Forum Member
Making a turkey Tongue Call???
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:27:08 PM »
I love this site and I did do some searches before posting this question, did not find anything.

A simple, neat and somewhat Folk Art style of turkey call is the tongue call.  A 6 sided rectangle box approx. 2.5 x 7 inches or so.  The top has a tongue cut into it by cutting 2 long lines and connecting them on one end with another cut.  Use a striker on the tough and a sound is made in the box.  Sometimes a whole is drilled where the cuts start and meet.

QUESTION is, what is best way to make the cuts since the cuts are in middle of the top piece of wood.  I guess a scroll saw could work, a jig saw or maybe a small plunge router?  I am just trying to determine the best way to make perfectly straight cuts.

If my description is not clear you can see a picture of a call at  https://www.google.com/search?q=vibrating+tongue+turkey+call&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS582US587&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=0gf3haljzwRC5M%253A%252CcC5NXiW_BBMd3M%252C_&usg=__GiUjE2Mlcz__GE8eGOnm_nROv-o%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuw4Xt9aXZAhXPwFkKHYCUAHwQ9QEIQDAE#imgrc=NoXhi_6bSm1i-M:

Thanks
John, Mad Baron Custom Calls
NWTF, DU, P&Y, PBS, IBA Member

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Making a turkey Tongue Call???
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
Interesting.  It doesnt look like the "tongue" is cut but carved into the call.  I'd guess do that with a chisel.  That coule be a fun project to figure out!

Offline John @ Mad Baron CC

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:43:06 PM »
I have 1 and have played others, the top and sides all seem to be 1/4" wood and the tongue is definitely cut all the way thru the top board.  I heard one guy has them laser cut and I think a jig and small detail router could work but just seeing if someone has a easy answer.  Thanks
John, Mad Baron Custom Calls
NWTF, DU, P&Y, PBS, IBA Member

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
In that case, a scroll saw should make real quick work of it!

B.Meuchel

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
I would use a scroll saw or a coping saw. The holes are probably there to put your blade through to start the cuts and also could be there to keep it from cracking out the back of the cut.

Offline Kevin Brooker

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:50 AM »
My favorite call to make and run. They can be persnickety to tune but when they are in it is an awesome call. Depending upon where you play it gives you a completely different sound and do they purr nice. I keep the tongue roughed up with 120 grit and chalk the snot out of it. The tongue can be tapered too giving it another sound option. The holes allow the tongue to vibrate a bit more. Made a few without and they work but are temperamental. The holes make the call less prone to breakage and also more docile. They also allow easier access to the saw blade. My tongues are cut with a template and a trim router. The box can be any thickness but thinner makes it a bit louder and sharper. 1/4" seems to be a good compromise between good joinery and sound. The tongue is usually an1/8"

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:39:42 PM »
I'm going to have to try to make one of thee now.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline Olin@Dark Cloud Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
George Huffman in Ohio ,use to have a patient on these type calls(time could be up now ,not sure)he makes an awesome call.They use to tell the story,that his call,was used to turn a flying turkey around in mid air,you know how tells get started.These calls make the sweetest clucks and purrs you ever heard.George use to have a Facebook page.