Author Topic: Spar urethane  (Read 5631 times)

ben

Spar urethane
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:02:04 AM »
For comments as to using Spar for a call finish.
Dip process or spray on from a rattle can.??

Do you thin it, how much if so.??
How many coats do you apply.??
All with the same viscosity.??
If not using the same viscosity how many thinned coats do you apply and then an not thinned if you apply it.??

I think this will be an interesting subject so comments.

ben

Offline Jed Malcore

• New Forum Member
Re: Spar urethane
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
I dip, I mix it thin it - I cant recall the percentages... I use a few coats and sand before my final coat

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:40:43 PM »
My latest, I am using....

First coat: dip Shellac
Second coat: dip 60/40 Spar urethane/mineral spirits
Third-? Coats rattle can spar

Sanding between each coat.

It works for me. Its sure not fast, but its super durable over time.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

ben

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:24:48 PM »
I sure thought we would get a little more discussion on the subject, got to get together another subject for discussion.

ben

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
When I use spar, I typically dip.  Although, I have used the rattle can approach on occasion with some success.  My issue with the rattle can is that it seems too easy for me to get runs or the orange peel effect.

When I dip in spar, I dip in a thinned mixture of approximately 60% spar and 40% mineral spirits.  I eyeball the mixture so it may be closer to 50/50.  I find that sanding between the first few coats is needed to get a glasslike finish.  But, on the last few coats I typically only sand if I can feel any rough spots.

I'm intrigued by Vince's method he described and may have to give that approach a try.

Either way, spar isn't a quick finish.  But, it does produce a nice protective glossy finish.

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »
Maybe a silly question, but what is the process for dipping in spar?  In my mind, dipping would be prone to runs and drips, especially thinned down so much.  How do you combat that?

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:59:29 AM »
I've been reading with interest, but don't have a lot to contribute on this one :(

I was dipping calls many years ago, but got so frustrated with runs that I eventually went to all spray. I paint cars as a hobby, so laying down a nice finish with spray is easy for me. However, spray gets expensive and does not coat the inside well.

This thread has me thinking I may need to consider doing some dipping tests again with some of the thinned mixtures suggested above.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »
Maybe a silly question, but what is the process for dipping in spar?  In my mind, dipping would be prone to runs and drips, especially thinned down so much.  How do you combat that?

Babysit it by spinning it, make a slow roller spinning system of some sorts, or wipe the drips. I should add I guess, I cheat because I dip mine and then give it a big ol’ sloppy wipe with an already spar-ed 2” by 2” rag.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
A few follow-up's in my response...

Evan - To combat drips, I hang the barrel/insert to dry and after 15-20 minutes I take a dry paper towel and just touch the drip at the bottom of the call. I don't press it up to the call itself... just touch the drip.  The dry paper towel will suck the drip away from the call.  I believe there is a pretty good photo tutorial on THO that was posted by Brian Byers.  This is where I learned how to dip calls.

Lagrue - For spraying with a rattle can, how have you found to keep from getting "orange peel" effect?  This is what I battle most when using a rattle can. 

Vince - I've often thought about using an old rotisserie motor to set up a slow rolling device to prevent drips.  But, I never could come up with a design that would do what I needed.  Do you have a rolling system you've used?  Also, when you wipe a dipped call, do you find it leaves high/low streaks that have to be sanded down?

I've been rethinking finishes for the past few weeks.  Have been re-reading posts on this forum, doing google searches, etc.  So, this conversation is good timing for me.  I'm always wanting to find the finish that will stand the test of time and look good doing it.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
I don’t feel like there are high/los spots, no, because it is thinned with mineral spirits.

I also to not have a rotary system to share.  When I first started in all of this method, there were R/C car stores, several of them, around. And I planned to go in there. But I found out the thinning of the finish and rattle cans allowed for a lot less babysitting.  There sure is no one end-all right way.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
James, to eliminate any orange peeling, I did the following:

Sand to 600-800 grit (depending on the wood). Some woods like walnut needed a pore filling step.
Spray 2-3 light coats with 10 mins in between
Finish with one heavier coat to build some gloss

I found the time in between coats had to be pretty perfect, any longer and the spar would wrinkle like crinkle paint

I typically let this dry (near a heat source during winter) for 2 days and it is good to go.

I do almost exactly the same process with Minwax spray Polyurethane.

The call below was shot with my spar spray process last summer before Reelfoot.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!