Author Topic: another new guy with questions  (Read 9381 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: another new guy with questions
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
Nice cabinet!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
That is a very nice drying setup J.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline JTitus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the comments, it was that guy on the link I gave though that had the idea.  I just copied it to meet my needs.  It did turn out well though and I can 't wait to get it off my bench and onto a wall...  It did dry all the pots and a dozen strikers quite well.

I have a question for you guys that do oil finishes and polish them afterwards.  I want to polish the pots up to a nice shine since they are all pretty nice wood.  I did Teak oil soaks 24hrs each 3 times with 100grit wetsand to fill pores and wetsanded up to 1500.  They look great, but I think a buffing wheel and some tripoli and white diamond will take it up a notch.  The question is this.

Should I glue in the sound boards and surfaces before polishing?  I figure I need to rough up the glue surfaces a fair bit to make sure i get good adhesion, but not sure on the order of events so to speak for the polish.

Please share your opinions/best guesses.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 02:52:00 PM »
I'm primarily a waterfowl callmaker and have only made a few pots, however since contamination of the soundboard is bad, I chose to buff and polish mine before glue up.

Offline JTitus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 12:18:13 AM »
Do you do anything special to prevent/remove wax from the glue areas?  I'm thinking sanding them with low grit and some turpentine.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 09:51:21 AM »
I just wax 'away' from the glue areas. I'm never running the buffer in a way that its going to wax my glue surface.

B Hoover

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
I buff the outside of my calls with Tripoli.  If you let the oil cure for the recommended time you shouldn't have any issues with gluing.

Offline JTitus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
I just want to say thanks for all the help putting these together and getting them finished up proper.  They turned out well in my opinion and with my poor ability to call, still sound amazing to my ears.  Now just need the turkeys to agree on Monday...

Its amazing the different striker materials on the different surfaces, I truly did not think it would make that big of difference.  Best thing I did is order that sample pack to try.

Ended up with
Purple Heart - Slate/Slate
Pauduk - Glass/Glass
Zebrawood - Aluminum/Glass
Zircote - Copper/Cedar 
Mahogany - Slate/Glass

Anyway, thanks again, you guys made sure they turned out as good as they did.  Gonna be ordering more now to make some for the nephews for sure.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
Very nice Titus!

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
I also use a paint can filled with teak oil. my method is this
1. submerge call in teak oil and let it sit for about 45-1 hour
2. remove call from teak oil and let it drip dry on the hanger for about 15 minutes
3. wipe down call to remove all excess oil
4. let dry for a few days, I wait until the smell is just about out of the wood.
I do this procedure twice

when I buff and wax on the wheels, I put blue painters tape on the inside of the call to cover up the holes. then when I'm buffing the call I hold a spare playing surface on top of the call so no wax can get inside. I usually just use the white diamond and then the wax.  use a q tip to wipe any build up off.

I have had my calls out in wet conditions while hunting and they seem to be holding up well so far. just my two cents.

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 07:22:37 PM »
those calls look sweet! :bigup:

Offline JTitus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:06 PM »
 :thanks:

I did wax with brown diamond and white tripoli.  I did not put anything else on it from there.  They do sound pretty good to me.  I am pumped for the morning.  Lots of tracks and plenty on the cameras... Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
any action out there? I still have to wait two weeks for the opener.

Offline JTitus

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »
heard quite a few, had some good adrenaline filled mornings from some close encounters, but all in all, it was a rather poor showing this year.  I had 3 total in the weeks I hunted that I felt were "closing in on me" but I either screwed up the calling or moved, or another hunter caused an issue.  There is always fall.  I had fun, my nephews had fun, that is what matters. 

My calls made turkeys respond and that makes me grateful.  Slate over glass and the aluminum over glass were pretty much the primary ones used.  my buddy really liked the copper.

Anyway, fun season, no kill, but enjoyed all the time in the woods.  Hope yours went better/goes better.  I have heard quite a few say missouri had a less than stellar year. 

Offline Rob_McFadden

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
nice! always awesome when the birds respond to one of your calls! my season going well, I shot a double bearded Tom in NH last Saturday and have had some other close encounters. always a blessing when you can get out in the spring turkey woods whether the birds cooperate or not! glad you enjoyed your season!