The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Turkey Calls

another new guy with questions

(1/6) > >>

JTitus:
I'm hoping you guys can help steer me in the right direction.

I bought 5 pre cut pots from Brookside, (good experience), with 5 different surfaces.

For Pots I have, Ziricote, Mahogany, Purple Heart, Zebra wood, and Padauk.

Striker surfaces are Aluminum, Etched Glass, Copper, Slate, and Slate.
Sound Boards are Glass x3, Slate, and Cedar.

I intend to do Aluminum over glass, Glass over Glass, Copper over Cedar, Slate over slate and Slate over glass.

I also bought a variety pack of strikers so I could play with different sounds on the different combos to see what sounds good to me.

My questions are...
1.  Any recommendations as to to which surface combo to match up with which pot?
2.  I sanded all 5 pots to 600 on the drill press with a bolt jig I made, they are all pretty slick now.  I have Teak oil, and have read that I should do a 'soak' of the oil for 30 min- 24hr let it dry and then buff to awesome.  How do you guys do your soaks?  pour Teak or Tung or Tru or velvit etc... into a glass brownie pan and let it soak that way?   I am curious.  I can't soak inside, I have a fire lit 23hrs a day... it'll warm up before long though.. 

I figure I will just wipe the teak oil onto the strikers (minus the tip inch).
I have plumbers goop in the cabinet already so set there as well.

Any thoughts would be most welcome, looking forward to using these with my nephews for their first hunts this spring.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the awesome tutorial section that made me start with these pots instead of ordering some for the kids.

-Joe

majordog:
IMHO:

I have made a few Glass over Glass pots out of Paduak.  Loudest calls I have ever made.  Dont know if its just me, but that combination gives me the best volume, if at a little higher pitch.

Try your slate over slate on the purpleheart.  another good combinations.

Dont have any experience with the other two woods.  I generally use domestics (Cedar, Maple, Walnut, etc)

Good Luck

Don

JTitus:
so far then,

PH - Slate/Slate
Paduak - Glass/Glass

Thank you, its a start. 

B.Meuchel:
I don’t soak my pots, I just wipe teak oil on. I put it on pretty thick and you will notice on the end grain it soaks in real quick, I add more to those areas and add to the rest where needed for 15 minutes or so. I use an old cotton tee shirt cut up into about 3” x 3” pieces. When you are all done make sure to wipe the excess off because it will get real blotchy if you don’t, then I let it dry overnight. The next day inspect it too see if you need to add more, I usually need to add more on the end grain areas and sometimes this process takes a couple oiling sessions. After your final oil I give it a couple days to dry thoroughly before I start glueing.

You will probably get a few other suggestions, this is just the way I do mine.

Have fun experimenting. If it doesn’t work it’s not a failure it’s a learning experience, be prepared for lots of learning experiences.

FDR:
One caution, Oily rags are a fire hazard. Spread them out "outside" to dry.

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version