Author Topic: Hail call  (Read 3140 times)

C Ciuffetelli

Hail call
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
Hey everyone,

I need a little advice. I had a specific call request from a customer looking for a single reed timber style call that is super easy to control, soft/warm in volume geared for close quarter hunting. He received his call today and claims that it's bang on with one exception. That it doesn't want to break at the top end of a hail call. He said it gets too dirty/growly sounding.

When I made the call I didn't bore out exhaust to help soften the volume (which it did). I left it at 1/4". My thoughts are this might be the issue. The customer might be trying to force the volume resulting in the hail squealing out.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so can you think of any simple solutions (besides boring out the exhaust)?

Thanks,

ben

Re: Hail call
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
you are probably correct that there is not enough air getting through on the hail call. Two other things are the set of the reed and the depth of the tone channel. The higher the reed and the deeper the tone channel the rasp of the call is greater but changing one thing may effect the other so it will be a trial to see. I first would bore out the back of the stopper,( exhaust ) but then it will take a little more air on the low end therefore any of the 3 changes may effect the other and the three things may have to be worked together.

Can you make up another stopper before you start changing what you have made.?

ben

C Ciuffetelli

Re: Hail call
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
Ben,

Thanks for the reply. When you say "the set of the reed" are you referring to the reeds length? 

Thanks,