Author Topic: My Attempt at a Lanyard  (Read 12680 times)

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: My Attempt at a Lanyard
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
Those are really nice and I know for me Leather is a pain to work with, I rather be working with WOOD!!!

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 04:13:06 PM »
That stone is about 3.5" long.  It is a very hard sharpening stone that is more of a decoration than a practical sharpener.  Ragnar, a fellow that runs ragweedforge.com sells these as "Viking Stones".  Apparently they are cut from actual sharpening stones that the Vikings moved mostly to the UK. 

Good story and good "hard Arkansas" type stones, but mostly decorative.

The leather braids are all done in kangaroo...my normal "medium" of choice.  Thanks for the kind words.

I am still working out my mixed leather/paracord ideas for a call.  I have one of Watkin's Swamp Bores on order that deserves a nice lanyard.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »
I have heard of folks working leather both wet and dry,...

I have never worked leather lacing,..is there a preferred method?

John

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
I braid my leather greased with braiding soap (a mixture of lard and ivory bar soap).  David Morgan has a couple of books that teach the technique I use mostly and Bruce Grant's Encylopedia of Leather Braiding is my other standard text.

I use 1/8" kangaroo...either hand cut or machine cut for all my projects.  I buy from David Morgan.  He is just up the road from my house and taught me to braid in his stores backroom. 

David's first book on Whip Making is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Whips-Whipmaking-David-W-Morgan/dp/087033557X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235092474&sr=1-6

His second on braiding is superb...this is the one to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Braiding-Fine-Leather-Techniques-Australian/dp/0870335448/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235092474&sr=1-10

And Bruce Grant is a must have for a host of projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Rawhide-Leather-Braiding-Bruce/dp/0870331612/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

All these can be had from David Morgan's on-line catalog, but Amazon is cheaper.  Morgan's machine cut kangaroo lace is superior stuff though and well worth the money.  His hand cut is even better, but most projects work out very well with the machine cut stuff.

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
I have braided a couple of baldrics for knives using this kangaroo.  It would make for a nice call lanyard but the amount of leather needed and the cost would be very high.

An overhead comparison.

Skookum Baldric from the side…