Author Topic: Pot Holder  (Read 5594 times)

Amerflyer48

Pot Holder
« on: December 27, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »
Thought I'd try a pot call lanyard here is the attempt and making the shotgun shell was fun  :yes:

this would have been easier if the pot had a groove on the side,..then maybe a matching ring instead of the shot shell?

the same braid in the duck lanyard but with an added strand of light tan to get closer to a MAX-4gery  think I'll use that on the next duck lanyard

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Pot Holder
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:47:25 PM »
Wow, you are really raising the bar. That is just great looking.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:40:40 PM »
That's a great idea!  No doubt you could turn a custom turkey call that would fit in the groove of the lanyard really well.

That's impressive work.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline knightmare831

• New Forum Member
  • High Speed Wood Whittler
    • Outdoors Addiction Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
 :2up:  Wow, thats a very cool idea.  Nice work.

Offline harvey8542

• New Forum Member
  • Team Stubble Stalkers
    • Stubble Stalkers
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:43 PM »
Awesome where do I send the check and how much :bow: :bow:
Great deal on advertising two of your calls for a year on http://stubblestalkers.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

Offline Steve S

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »
Well thats different...I like it! way to think outside the box.

Steve

Amerflyer48

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
Actually I am working on an improved design since this one was made..

I am trying to figure a way to fit them without having to have them shipped in,made,attached and call and lanyard returned..

it has been on a back burner since I am working up a few lanyards for predator and duck hunters ..loops are easier  :yes:

I am hoping to have the designs final by this summer with a few test pieces out there "working" for final tweaks.

John

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:44:12 PM »
That is slick AF. You sure do a great job on all your lanyards. I don't know how you come up with these ideas but they are great.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 10:31:29 PM »
It looks great!

Pot calls are tough for sure. I haven't found a way (that I'm happy with) to make an all size fits all yet. I have also been trying to find something that adds a little grip to the back of the braids to help grip the pot better. I hope you work it out! Again, it looks great! :2up:

Nathan
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
That is really a good one.

I have a couple of thoughts.

As to making this adjustable....will the turks head move at all towards the pot?  If so then using a few sizes of shotshell wedges might allow for a tiny adjustment.  28g, 20g, 12g, 10g wedges.  This would be more to allow adjustment of small differences in the same manufactures pot rather than allow much for very different ones though. Of course what self-respecting turkey hunter is gonna want a 28g shell ornament eh?

As to friction...would a lightly glued layer of 400g wet/dry sandpaper on the pot do it?  Completely covered with braid.

I cannot think of a way to tension that braid in a hugely adjustable fashion right now.

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
I have thought of the sandpaper, and think it would work alright. My thinking on that is I have a few nicer calls that I would not want to use sand paper on. I was going to try dipping the back side of the lanyard in some kind of liquid rubber perhaps. That's the thought anyways. It plays out in my head ok, but that doesn't mean a darn thing more often than not.
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Amerflyer48

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
the easiest solution is to have the pot have a groove  however not all do

Work has really gotten in the way these past few weeks  :censored:  but I have written down about 4 pages if ideas...

if I could make it look decent I think it would be a winner..

swmo, simple tension held this flat sided call in place for a 2 hour walk in the woods, I know it isn't hunting conditions and the idea of some grippy is cool but as pointed out who  wants to spray tack their spalted maple double sided  custom pot call ?  Perhaps a section of inner tubing under the lanyard like the toolbox liners I have seen ? non marking and easily removed at seasons end to display just the call..

my only concern is reactions with finishes (damp + rubber or material = botched finish  :no: )

schwert,.. the shell idea is neat might have to investigate that further...or maybe some wood turnings...maybe some sort of drawstring in the braid with ends like the loop @ the bottom locking is the issue..

John_NY  Actually got the idea form my sailing days the old schooners used blocks were strapped with an eye so you could hang them from a line to "fair lead" a sheet the shell is where a guy line would go and the pot call is where the block would be.

John

:thanks: for your kind words and encouragement  hope to sow some of these ideas soon...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:50:37 PM by Amerflyer48 »