Author Topic: First Reelfoot Call  (Read 5832 times)

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
First Reelfoot Call
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:49:30 PM »
Built my first (and not last!) Reelfoot Metal Reed call today. With a lot of help from Benny, Ryan Roosa and some of the tutorials on this forum, I was able to build a very nice call.

This one runs very nicely. I ran my first metal reed back in the late 90's at Reelfoot. I was hooked. Made friends with a few of the makers that I met at the show each year and learned as much as I could about the construction of the calls and how to run them.

Much of my process looks like the process detailed in Benny's great tutorial. I used a Dremel to hand cut the tone channel on this call as I still need to make a good jig to hold my router. Reed is hand cut stainless. I don't figure on making enough calls yet to warrant a proper punch tool. I guess the rest of my process came from my years of making Arkansas style calls.

As for dimensions, the bore of this call is 11/16" which is the bore of an Arkansas style call I make so I can use the same custom mandrel. I think it also makes for a metal reed that blows somewhat in between an Arkansas style call and a 3/4" bore Reelfoot call. Some of my exhaust design is actually straight from my regular 5/8" bore Arkansas style call. Gambled that it would work and I nailed it.

My reamer is a chair style reamer that I made from persimmon (thanks Benny). I tested a few different grinds on the blade before I got that right.

Curly maple and African Blackwood. I'm really happy with it!

There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: First Reelfoot Call
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
That is sure a lot nicer than my first call. Maple is one of my favorite woods. Like that you also included the jig and reamer.

Fred
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:54:40 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

ben

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
Absolutely great. I am glad that you have made one and after you make that first one you will keep making them.

A fine looking first call and I am glad that I may have had some influence on you getting started.

Always look forward to talking to you and your posts.

Happy hunting

ben

B Hoover

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
Beautiful work all the way around!

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
Love it!  Great photography too.

AL @ THO

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »
Very nice call!  And I really like the handmade jig and reamer.