Author Topic: A Few Pot Call Questions-Any Help Appreciated  (Read 62 times)

Offline FrankCalls

• New Forum Member
A Few Pot Call Questions-Any Help Appreciated
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
So I'm attempting to make my first few pot calls. I'm not turning them myself, Ive ordered pre-cut pots and a few different soundboard and surfaces to mix and match. I was wondering if you can just set the soundboard and surface material in place without gluing for a preview of the sound before you commit and glue it into place? Will it sound the same just resting on the wood as it would with glue? Ive ordered some copper, slate, glass and acrylic all to mix and match. As well as striker dowels and separate tips out of various woods to combine. Any tips on soundboard and surface combos and what strikers would be compatible with them? I know the fun is the experimenting, but I am on a budget. I cant afford to glue and finalize numerous calls to find out they sound like crap haha.

Also with a pre-cut call and pre-cut surfaces is there any other ways to fine tune the pitch and tone or make further modifications to tweak the sound? I'm not making these to sell, just think it would be cool to kill a bird from a call that I put some time and effort into making and maybe make a few for gifts!

Offline Tom Hamilton

• Custom Call Maker
Re: A Few Pot Call Questions-Any Help Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
Hi FrankCalls - Welcome to the Tho forum.  I think you may just have to try some of the things you're asking about, just like many, if not all of us on here have had to do.

You mention a lot of variables like different materials, they'll all sound different.  Glued up is the only way to tell, it provides the solid contact.

Good luck in your experimenting, enjoy the learning curve, and take some notes on what you learn to apply later.

Happy turning - Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

Offline FrankCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: A Few Pot Call Questions-Any Help Appreciated
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Yeah you're right. I didn't want it to sound like I was asking for all the answers. Basically the main question was just any tips on hearing the sound before you finalize with it glue and any tips for a pre-cut pot to adjust tuning or modifications that can be made to change the sound.