Author Topic: HSS or Carbide?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
HSS or Carbide?
« on: October 20, 2017, 05:07:33 PM »
Need some input, fellas.  I've only ever used HSS turning tools for all my call making.  But, when I turn a call with a metal inlay it just doesn't cut clean.  Takes a lot of pressure.  Not sure if I need to change the angle of the grind on my tools when I'm turning metal or not.  Could that be the problem?  Or, do I need to get some carbide tools to make cleaner cuts on metal inlays.  Just wondering if carbide is worth the investment or not.  I know a lot of guys use them, but will it cut the inlays better/easier?

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: HSS or Carbide?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Carbide will cut the metal easier but it will still need some sanding to clean it up. IMO carbide cutters are great. Get yourself a round tipped cutter. You'll wonder how you turned without it.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:09 PM »
James, I use carbide on my inlays regularly. I hog them down to shape with sharp HSS, but finish them with carbide.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
HSS properly sharpened cuts like butter on those inlays
Carbide will never be as sharp as hss but holds up better

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I'm fully willing to accept that my HSS tools may not be properly sharpened since I don't use a sharpening jig.  I just freehand them on my grinder.  I get a good edge on them this way and it works fine for wood.  But, I'm thinking they just aren't sharp enough for metal.  So, I'm thinking I either need to upgrade my sharpening tools/process or get a round tipped carbide cutter to use for metal inlays. 

It's always fun to "need" to buy new tools.   :yes:

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »
I bought the wolverine jigs and 180 grit CBN wheel early on and haven't regretted it. I also have three Easy Wood carbide tools (Xmas gifts).  I normally use HSS but sometimes the carbide really comes in handy.  I don't really care for what seems like a lack of need for technique with carbide (I feel like I'm using a scraper all the time).  I'm old school I guess.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
Now that I've gotten carbide tools. I hardly ever use my HHAS.I still use them just not that often.

JP

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
So, I picked up a round-tipped mini carbide tool from JAustin, who's a member on THO, and the call I turned last night with an aluminum inlay cut like butter.  No doubt the sharpness of my HSS tools was the issue.  Eventually, I need to pick up a Wolverine jig to aid in sharpening my HSS tools.  But, this was a cheaper option for now and I'm very pleased with the cutter from JAustin.

Thanks for all the input and wisdom from my THO brothers.