Author Topic: Fix for PhotoBucket Picture viewing!!!!!  (Read 9821 times)

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Fix for PhotoBucket Picture viewing!!!!!
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »
I've been pretty bummed as of late to see all of photos from past threads 'locked out' by Photobucket and their latest 'extortion' attempt.

This has been painful not only on this forum, but on forums for other hobbies I participate in.

A poster in one of the other forums found and posted the following. You have to use the Chrome or Firefox browsers to make it work, but I think it is worth it!

If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result."
I am using Chrome. I had a choice of three fixes pop up. I chose the first one. I just looked at an old thread of mine and also Some others and I can see all the pics in both.

I have installed this fix and can now see all the photos in the threads!
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

B Hoover

Re: Fix for PhotoBucket Picture viewing!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
 :bigup:  Thanks for the tip.  Nice to see some of the old stuff.  Unfortunately I believe Doug may have removed his pictures from the goose flute tutorial.  That was some very good info not only about flutes, but matching the grain in the barrel and exhaust.

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing. That fixed in fire fox also.

JP

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:29 PM »
 :bigup:
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:45:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing this fix.  Worked great for Google Chrome.

Offline Mattmccain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
That worked!! :thanks:

Offline s wuebber

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:32:45 PM »
Any chance a IPad can open the photobucket pics?
Cupped Wings!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
Any chance a IPad can open the photobucket pics?

My understanding, you can if you put Firefox on it and use the directions. On an ipad, you usually view the internet on Safari. Safari does not have any plugin fixes like this.

Chrome is owned by Google, and Google and Apple tend to not play well together.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
  • whistling wings stir the soul
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »
I wouldn't put a lot of energies into the focus of attempting to maintain connections with photobucket.  I understand much of the converse here across the board, is in many ways, just so that we can view pictures in past threads.  The bummer is, I'm not certain how long any of the work-arounds are going to continue to enable photobucket uploads to be viewed on forums, (of any kind) for that matter.  Obviously Photobucket has begun placing huge constraints and restrictions on the photo connections.  Its occurring on tons of forums as most of you may already be familiar with.....looking elsewhere for photo hosting sites is the order of the day. 

But then again, its a wonder this hadn't popped up years ago.

How difficult would it be for the forum itself to be configured to accept uploaded photos directly?  I understand it could be quite complex and perhaps not even a scene to postulate.  I've built a few sites from scratch and took some code classes but certainly not my profession and I'm not familiar at all with the platform that these forums run off of.  Is such a thing even possible without major overhauls or amendments to the forum platforms?  Then there's the storage space demand.    Just a question.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:00:14 AM by Truefire »
quackycalls.com
   custom duck and turkey calls

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
The forum has already been configured to accept photo uploads directly. When you post there is an attachments button at the bottom left.

The problem is being able to view the older threads particularly the tutorials library. One solution would be to turn the tutorials into PDF. A lot of work for someone!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
How difficult would it be for the forum itself to be configured to accept uploaded photos directly? 

To be BLUNT -  and no offense meant to you, but this has come up before and I have not addressed it as I should have.

Configuring the forum to allow photo uploads is not hard.   As Fred mentioned, we already did that.

The problem is one of MONEY and LAZINESS

First, most people, even when they used Photobucket, would upload a photo of 4 or 5 megs - and you can see that on the forum when you have to scroll up and down and side to side to just see it.  Few if any took the time to  learn how to resize a photo so it would show up on nicely on the forum.  Then, several call makers, would post 37 5 meg photos of the call they made last night.  48 of the one they made today, and Lord help me if the wood had a little figure in it you might end up seeing 123 photos of the same call.  OK - I exaggerate - but the point is, all those photos take up disk space, and they make it hard to navigate the forum.   

Second - This is a FREE forum.  Long ago I tried to charge people who ran companies to advertise here, but the uproar was so great that I gave up, and now as then, I fund the entire forum out of my own pocket.   You might think Facebook is free - but you are paying for it every time you log on.   They sell every thing they know about you to whoever has the money to pay for it.  INCLUDING the US Government.   

But anyway, I funded the forum out of my pocket and we were growing very quickly and had a ton of traffic.  So much so that we had several offers from companies to buy the forum. 

The disk space we were using at the time because of the traffic was quickly approaching our limit,so I had to upgrade out hosting plan to allow us to have more space at a significant additional cost.  That upgrade put us at the limit of what our current provider could offer, and the next step would have been to buy or rent our own servers, at a much more significant cost, and that was just something I was just not comfortable bearing myself.

So, while things are slow, I have opened up photo hosting here.  I had to set some limits on it, and I am sure it pissed some people off. 

But here's something to consider.  Everyone is looking for a photo hosting company - and that's just plain dumb.  For $4.95  a month, you can get a web site in your own name from dozens of places, and that will allow you to host your own photos.  You can then post them where ever you want, and you have complete control over them.   Now if you want something for free, well, I guess Facebook, or putting up with the limitations of this forum are your best bet.

Al @ THO

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:42:12 AM by Al_at_THO Game Calls »

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
Thanks for what you do Al, Nice job      :bigup:     :clap:      :gitrdone:
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
I was merely brainstorming out loud regarding some workable solutions.  Certainly there's no free lunch.  I could only imagine the space requirement needed, in order to be deemed sufficient, for just this one forum.  Not to mention the entire spectrum of techno forums out here. I totally get it--photobucket and others ditching their old plans.  From the economics side, can't believe they didn't do so before now and I would be responding likewise.  That said, I cannot however say that 'it's not disheartening to have lost so much archived material across such a wide array of sites'.   The depth and magnitude are far reaching.     

Al, what site service platforms do you have in mind which embrace a deep storage of photos, for offsite embedding, at the $4.95? 

Would be superb if there were some individuals which enjoyed IT type endeavors which would be willing to put together such a service.  Could sell third party photo hosting services to other forums specifically.  Stay within the confines of forum only connections and forbid individual storage clouds.  Tho's could glean the profits.    I wish I was knowledgeable enough and could enjoy such a build, I would attempt such a deal. 

The present shift is certainly changing things.  Its literally like entire wings of libraries being extirpated. 

-- changing gears- you're spot on Al about the bulletin board photos. :eek:    Need some remedial training there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:09:07 PM by Truefire »
quackycalls.com

Offline Ronald Spain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
I've been pretty bummed as of late to see all of photos from past threads 'locked out' by Photobucket and their latest 'extortion' attempt.

This has been painful not only on this forum, but on forums for other hobbies I participate in.

A poster in one of the other forums found and posted the following. You have to use the Chrome or Firefox browsers to make it work, but I think it is worth it!

If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result."
I am using Chrome. I had a choice of three fixes pop up. I chose the first one. I just looked at an old thread of mine and also Some others and I can see all the pics in both.

I have installed this fix and can now see all the photos in the threads!

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 11:33:32 PM »
Thank you Ronald and it seems to be working from what i've revisited thus far....and I can see Big Lon's profile avatar again.  cool deal!!   :bigup:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:37:07 PM by Truefire »
quackycalls.com