Author Topic: Imperfections in duck call barrel  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Jeff Knott

• New Forum Member
Imperfections in duck call barrel
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:07:37 PM »
Turned my first duck call barrel tonight out of cocobola, but I'm having problems with imperfections.

As you will see in the pictures below, there is some scratches and pits. I was wondering what I've done wrong?  I've only sanded so far with 220, then 400.  Will more sanding get them out, or are they from my inexperience of wood turning?

Thanks!!!

B Hoover

Re: Imperfections in duck call barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
Jeff, I can't bring up the photos.  You might try uploading them with ImgBB.  If you have chips in the barrel it might be an indication your chisels are not sharp.  Some woods have very visible pores which will show until you wet sand the barrel with oil.  I would recommend starting with 100 grit sand paper working down through 220, 400, 600 and possibly further depending on how smooth you want the call.  Sand on the slowest speed your lathe will turn.  Sand while the lathe is spinning then shut it off and sand with the grain of the wood at each grit of paper.  This is a must to remove scratches.  I would recommend wet sanding when you hit 600.  Hope this helps.

Brian Ziegler

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
The scratch near the notch for the lanyard looks like you may have cut a little deeper in the spot. More sanding will Definately take that out. The other spots look more like "pores" in the wood. Your finish will fill those in. Wipe the call with a damp paper towel and I bet you can't even see them

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
Those look like the pores in the wood. Wet sanding and allowing the dust to fill these pores works well for me. The finish you use will "lock" the dust into the pores and darken it to match the surrounding wood. Luck in learning!

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

ben

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »
The only thing I see is at the lanyard grove and the remainder is the wood itself.

Just follow the sanding and finish suggestions.

ben

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
Be aware that cocobolo will just gum up with ordinary finish, it will never dry.
Either finish in teak oil and live with the pores or give it a couple coats of sanding sealer (shellac), sand back lightly to even it out the shellac, and then apply whatever finish you like.
A CA finish, like they use on pens, will also work.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?