Author Topic: Acrylic  (Read 3186 times)

Areid

Acrylic
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:45:08 AM »
Acrylic strikers. I know folks who use and like them. But I can't seem to make one I like.  :stickman1:. I'm wondering if it's me or do they just not sound right. I guess my question is, would the tip shaping be the same as my wood strikers? And the tip be sanded the same Also?

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
What do you not like about them?  Are they hard to run or just don't sound very good?

Areid

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »
Just don't sound worth a flip to me. I was just playing with finding something more waterproof. But I'm just not too impressed so far. I'm keep tweaking design, but I'm definitely continue searching for another option.

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
IMO, acrylic strikers need to be a lighter weight to sound really good.  One of the best strikers I've ever used was a 3" piece of acrylic in a dried corn cob with a flat, slightly rounded tip. 

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »
I pair my Metal surface pots, and Ceramic pots with Acrylic pegged strikers.  And Yes, make the tops on the light side.  Round the tip like you would with wood ones, then sand and polish starting at 220 and go up to 2000.  The smoother the better.  Some metal surfaces, esp Copper can be fickle to run.  So can Ceramic.  But, you run an acrylic striker on them, and the game changes.  Easy to run!  Plus they'll run wet!

Areid

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:03 PM »
Thanks Scott. I will give that a try.