The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Deer Calls

help with the seam on a grunt call

(1/3) > >>

dannylang:
I have made a few grunt calls, and that seam where both pieces comes together is just a eye sore to me. how do you fellows attach bands, or whatever you use to cover the seam. Please help..
Danny Lang

VECtor Calls:
Doug Nelson is the master of this on his goose flutes; using one chunk of wood.

Your gut tenon will have to be made of something else besides your original blank.

Its not an easy task, as you can imagine since you see very folks trying to do this matchup.

You still have to have the o/d's of both parts be exactly the same too to get everything to match up perfectly.

You may think this is an eye sore to a lot of folks because it bothers you. It really isn't to very many.

dannylang:
does each piece slide into the same band to hide the seam, can you get different widths of them?
dannylang

B Hoover:
If you are going to use a band on each one, make the tenon shorter on the wood so the band extends over the joint 1/8".  You would then just make an 1/8" tenon on the matching piece.  When I make my grunts I taper the inside edge of the exhaust portion of the call so the very outside of the call is the only part touching.  Holding a sanding block against the barrel while it is turning at a slow speed ensures a 90 degree end to match.

dannylang:
thanks mr hoover, what size band do i use, od, width. and where do i find them with game animals on them, or ever camo ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version