Author Topic: Ca finish  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Fat Lip calls

• New Forum Member
Ca finish
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
Hello all I am getting the CA finish down pretty good now. But just wanting to know what techniques do you use to finish the inside of the barrel. And also do you all use CA to finish your inserts or go a different route??? Thanks for any info
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:22:21 PM by Fat Lip calls »

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Ca finish
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
CA the parts you see, oil the parts you don't.

Offline Fat Lip calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:05:58 AM »
 :2up:

Offline R Widener

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
What kind of oil are you using with the ca glue on your finish? I just started turning and tried with some danish oil but didn't get the results I was looking for exactly.

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
What kind of oil are you using with the ca glue on your finish? I just started turning and tried with some danish oil but didn't get the results I was looking for exactly.

Alot of guys soak everything in teak oil before doing their CA finish (myself included).  I don't do any other oil on the inside of the barrel or inserts, not sure what other guys do.  Teak oil is supposed to penetrate the grain and preserve the wood from moisture and whatnot.  Pretty important in the work of duck hunting if you ask me.. haha
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline R Widener

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
Thanks Michael. I will get some teak oil and give it a try. I have been reading through the tutorials trying to learn as much as I can.

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
 :bigup: That's the best way to do it.  Do a ton of reading and take lots of notes.  When you start turning calls, write down what works, what doesn't, what you like, what you don't like, etc.  It sounds tedious but it's helped me alot!  I'm still very new to it, but finally getting some barrels that I can be proud of.  Turning an insert, whole different story  :down1:
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
If you like the CA finish, I would suggest giving the Massey finish a try. I use that instead of CA now. I tested barrels for about a month leaving them in my car, spraying with bug spray and whatnot and the Massey finish held up pretty well against the CA. Pretty good info on here on how to do the Massey and it looks pretty dang good. I do use oil before I do the finish with BLO and after I do the finish I am going to start using Beeswax on top of the Massey finish (next little experiment) and test that against a Massey finish with and without Beeswax.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Areid

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
You can use BLO with CA finish.