Author Topic: Trumpet questions for Marvin  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Luckydawg

• New Forum Member
Trumpet questions for Marvin
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »
First of all is like to thank Marvin for taking the time to put together the tutorial. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and it helps us newbies figure out which direction to start.
My first question deals with the initial drilling of the barrel... Since you don't drill all the way through do you encounter any problems with your holes aligning when they meet?
Secondly where do you get your morse taper reamer and how long is it?
Next is there any special setup you have for sanding the bore?
Lastly, where do get this Eva foam stuff?

I know this is several questions and if any of the answers are your secrets keep them as such.
Thanks again for your help! Mike

Brad_23

Re: Trumpet questions for Marvin
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
I don't know any thing about making trumpet calls but I can give some insight on where to get the reamer and the Eva foam.. i ordered a size 10 pin reamer used for 18.00 off eBay. I use it for reaming crow calls.. but I don't know what size you will need.. that will be something for a trumpet expert to tell ya.. as for the Eva foam you can get it from a place called mud hole .. it's a company that sales everything to build custom fishing rods.. I have done business with them and there service is top notch.. hope some of this helps..

Offline Luckydawg

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »
Thanks Brad!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Luckydawg

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Thanks Fred!

Offline Wayne Howard

• New Forum Member
  • Death Head Calls
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:57 AM »
Hi Marvin,
This reply may be a little late. I make many trumpet calls. I find that drilling (boring) the holes for your calls may wander, I have found doing them on the lathe helps and be sure to drill very slowly. I also drill a 1/4" hole at the exit end on the blank after the other holes have been completed, for your mouth piece. I got a tapered reamer from Lee Valley Tools, it Is made for making tapered holes for making chairs ($30 can) , it is about 4" long and works great. I also make my own mouth pieces using Delrin Rod , this may take you time to practice, carbide tools , 1500 RPM , when dilling 3/16" hole go slow and never drill to far each time , delrin heats easily and will seize bit if you don't clear material.
Hope this will help
Wayne Howard