Author Topic: Best Tool Set  (Read 2383 times)

BAdams

Best Tool Set
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »
What is a good tool set to get started making duck calls with?  Is it better to just by the individual tools separately?  I have found many tool sets, but I am not sure if I would use all of the tools in the set or would be better off buying individuals..

Thanks,

Brett

B.Meuchel

Re: Best Tool Set
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
I started with the 8 piece set of Benjamin's best from Penn state, its a decent set in my opinion. It is going to take a while to get used to sharpening them and I didn't want to ruin high dollar tools. Another tool to look at would be a carbide detailer, it is great for lanyard grooves and burn lines.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
I started with the basic set from Harbor Freight when I started turning 4 or 5 years ago.  Still using them today. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:59 PM »
The HF set will teach you how to sharpen tools and not eat your pocket book for you eating the tool while practicing your sharpening skills.

I like Henry Taylor tools for high speed steel tools when you get good at sharpening.

If you want to skip the sharpening, go with Easy Wood Tools carbide tools. This is what I have done. Lots of guys say its the easy way out. I like turning, and not really sharpening.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls