Author Topic: Insert tips  (Read 3097 times)

Anthony Rosenthal

Insert tips
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:54:21 PM »
So I am just starting to get into turning my own duck calls and am having trouble with making my inserts. Any tips or tricks I should know before turning more expensive wood into an insert?

Thank you in advance!
 :thanks:

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Insert tips
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »
Well welcome to everyone's path to making call inserts. It took lots of practice for me to understand and also turn out a good insert. Your question is quite generic in content. Things that effect the sound of a duck call hmmmm 🤔. Hole size, tone board height, Reed material, length of the tone board hole in relationship to the back of the cork notch, size of cork notch, length of cork notch, upslope vs down slope, material of the tone board, and believe it or not the length of the barrel of the call. I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting but these are the ones that come to mind. Can you narrow it down a bit?

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
Anthony...

As Larry said, more info on what issues you're having will help those on the forum be better able to give input.  That being said, if I were you, I wouldn't worry with more expensive woods for now.  You will likely waste a lot of wood learning inserts.  Use cheap wood for this.

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Practice on some less expensive hardwood.

Have your caliper ready, measure what you do. Write down what works. Write down what does not. Note the differences. Remember that combinations of things are what makes things change, not just individual changes. When possible, change one thing at a time.

Learn to do a search in this forum. There is ton's of already typed up information here. Ready for reading. Type the word insert and get ready for a long read.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!