Author Topic: Cork groove gap cutting  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Gene @ Liford Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Cork groove gap cutting
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
so I turned my first duck insert tonight and tried to cut a gap for my cork but made it too big. What is the best way to get a good snug cork groove?

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Cork groove gap cutting
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
Gene, your jig should be set up to guide you to cut the notch correctly.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:10:12 PM »
If youre using a jig... practice will get you there... filing to the jig is important in many cases... but where you say its too long, Im guessing youre free handing it...  and about all that you can do is measure and draw it out as best you can and stay inside the lines and then file it larger to the fit you want... 

Like most things you want to fit together, you cut under where you want to be, and then work out slowly to size - test fitting along the way.

Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »
What I like to do is completely shape my tone board visually up to, but not including, the actual notch.  At this point lay a Japanese style fine tooth saw on the toneboard, and cut to desired depth.  Lay the wedge on the toneboard and mark the height.  Use a band saw to parallel match the other toneboard cut you've made.  These cuts should all be a little shy of the desired notch so you can finish it up with a file that very nearly matches the combined thicknesses of wedge + reed(s).  Now file with a 3/16 file(that's my preference) until the wedge is where you want it.
Steelbyrd

B Hoover

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »
If you use a jig, do not sand in the jig.  It's a quick way to ruin a jig.  Use a file to clean up the toneboard and the back of the cork notch.