Author Topic: Sound board diameter  (Read 2674 times)

Offline R Widener

• New Forum Member
Sound board diameter
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the group and turkey pot call making in general. The info here is awesome and everyone seems very helpful. My question is this, if I have two indentical 3.25 pot calls slate over glass and the only difference is the soundboard diameter, one being 2.75 and one being 2.5, what difference in tone should I expect to hear? Same rasp just a more hollow sound? Less rasp? Deeper tone? Thanks for any input. 

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Sound board diameter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »
Well I know that either will work. There are so many things that can affect the way the call sounds. What you need to do is make two pots identical then change up the sound boards and see for your self. But what you get may not sound the same way I my pot or others. You actually have to experiment with some of this on its own to find your sound quality your looking for.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline R Widener

• New Forum Member
Re: Sound board diameter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:47:14 PM »
Thank you Larry. I have actually been trolling through all the comments that you have made on here trying to find some knowledge to get me started. I have some blanks cut now that I plan on doing exactly as you described and trying to get the identical except for one variable until I find the sound I want. My obsession is turkey hunting itself and not really call making for selling. I just got finished turning a pot that is pretty good to the measurements that you laid out in a previous post. Excited to hear what I end up with. Thanks again.