Author Topic: Grunt guts  (Read 6746 times)

C Ciuffetelli

Grunt guts
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Hi all,

I'm interested in everyone opinion of using purchased grunt call guts in their calls. I recently bought a few of Al's kits from the online store and made up a few calls and they sound bloody awesome! I was very impressed at how easy they were to work with and tune. The only thing is that it feels like it's not a true original call and I'm not sure how I feel about labeling them as my own.

I know there is a stigma out there about using echo duck call inserts with one's duck calls. Does everyone feel the same about using purchased grunt call parts? From the posts I see on here it seems that there are only a few select call makers that actually make their own guts.

I apologize in advance if this opens up a can of worms. I'm just curious of what the consensus is?

Carlo 

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Grunt guts
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
I use the grunt guts from Al as well and have gotten nothing but rave reviews from the folks who have my grunts.  I don't make a lot of grunts and so I haven't put in the time and effort to create my own toneboard.  Although, that is something that I'd like to do in the near future.  I think whether you make your own or buy the guts, it really comes down to a personal choice.  With duck calls, it really can be a heated debate.  Not so much with other calls it seems.  My thought is if you are pleased and your customers are pleased then keep using the purchased guts.  When you feel the time is right to develop your own, go for it. 

C Ciuffetelli

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
James, those are all great points. When you sell your "grunts" do you market them as custom or hand made calls?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:44:57 PM »
No need to get hung up on the word "custom". It is an endless debate. Set your own personal limitations and be up front with your potential customers.  Send your calls out to compete with the wildlife.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:21:58 PM »
I'm with Vince on this one, I don't get hung up on the term.  I use "custom," "handmade," "handcrafted," etc. pretty much interchangeably.  I don't hide the fact that the grunts have manufactured toneboards.  And it's never been an issue with customers.

C Ciuffetelli

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm always up front with my customers and would never steer them in the wrong direction if I'm using manufactured toneboards.

Thanks  :bigup:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:55:26 AM »
I like using plastic guts so there is less chance of spit screwing up the tone at the moment of truth. MUCH less opportunity to recover when blowing on a deer call than a waterfowl call.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:34:14 AM »
Good point, Vince.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
It aint the kit.  It's the magic the call maker puts IN the kit that makes the difference.  IMHO of course  :2:

Al @ THO