Author Topic: Best Place to Buy Blanks?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Best Place to Buy Blanks?
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
Where does everyone get their blanks from??  I have some various types of wood drying, but I'm quickly learning that I don't want to mess with harvesting my own wood for the rest of my call turning life...  I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on blanks...   Anyone have any suggestions on where to get good blanks at a good price?  Stabilized blanks are preferable.

Thanks!

Michael
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: Best Place to Buy Blanks?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
Michael, I've been really pleased with the stuff I've bought from Mel at Wood Dynamics. Have been lucky enough to buy from him in person most times and saved on shipping.

One heads-up, stabilized wood costs significantly (often 2-3-4x's) more than standard hardwoods.

http://www.wooddynamics.net/

There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
http://www.bellforestproducts.com/

I buy a lot of wood from BFP. They tell you if the blanks are kiln dried.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »
Michael, I've been really pleased with the stuff I've bought from Mel at Wood Dynamics. Have been lucky enough to buy from him in person most times and saved on shipping.

One heads-up, stabilized wood costs significantly (often 2-3-4x's) more than standard hardwoods.

http://www.wooddynamics.net/

Thanks for the insight.  I know stabilized blanks cost more, but I'm not set up to stabilize and quite frankly don't plan on it.  I have enough stuff to keep me busy I don't need to add one more thing to my to-do list!
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
I make a few blanks. I use PR ( silmar 41 ). In most colors. Prices are...

1.5" X 6" round   $10.00 + S/H
2" X 2" X 6"          $11.00 + S/H
4" X 4" X 1"          $10.00 + S/H

If I can help you let me know...

JP
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:33:53 PM by JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson »

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:49 AM »
Buying wood blanks from stabilizers is EXPENSIVE.  The vast majority ridiculously over charge.  You're far better off buying wood from various sources and sending it to have it stabilized.  I would strongly recommend K&G Stabilizing (in AZ) over the other stabilizing outfits.  Significantly harder, better stabilizing than most are putting out.  Plus their consistency is spot on.  You'll pay about $15 per finished pound.  It takes them a month, sometimes two.  I don't do my own stabilizing but I spend thousands per year on stabilizing services and thousands per year on all sorts of wood and burls.  They get 100% of my business and I have used them all.  WSSI has similar quality to K&G, although they tend to take a very long time to get wood done. 

For the wood itself, Bell Forest Products is a great source.  There are a couple sources on here...Check the sale ads.  Dbroswoods is one that has great stuff.  Ebay is a good source, just be sure you're buying dried wood.  Woodbarter.com is terribly addictive and is as good a source as there is.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply Aaron, very helpful!!  Saw your video about the snakewood whistle last night... ouch

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Aaron, thanks for that. I've not heard of K&G until you posted this. I've got a number of pretty blanks that will need stabilizing when they are finally at a good moisture content and will definitely connect with them.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!