Author Topic: Slate Question  (Read 2215 times)

Alloy Calls

Slate Question
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Fairly new to call making, but I have picked up a ton of information on this forum!!
Thank you all for that
A few questions for you guys...
I have been buying my 3-1/2" slate from a big call supply company (I am not sure if I can say the name), and I am not getting the sound I want.
I have changed every aspect of the calls, but I truly think it is something with the slate.
Do you guys sand down your slate to get the thickness you need?
Where else could I purchase slate?  I am okay with buying squares or sheets, and cutting them myself.
I have actually been looking at roofing tiles, flooring tiles, etc... Again, I am not opposed to doing some work to get my final product.

Do you all know where else I can get conditioning stones for conditioning glass and crystal playing surfaces?
Is there another use for these pieces?  I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way of getting these stones, but I am having no luck!!

Thank you all in advance.
Josh

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Slate Question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »
Yes, you can sand down the slate, but most guys don't.  Honestly, if you have not made 20 plus designs of your call and catalogged every little change you made to every one, I would not blame the slate.  It is more than likely still your pot design. It could also be your striker design. Sand the slate though. No reason to not try it. Its a way to get picky.

The easiest place to buy those conditioning stones I have seen is Brookside (and if that is where you bought your slate, I have bought hundreds of peices from them and they have all ran).  I send scotch brite type pads and cloth back sandpaper out the door with my calls. I don't feel the conditioning stones are needed on any surface besides glass.

Welcome to the forum. Just sending you back my thoughts and experiences. I hope you find the groove you are looking for.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls