Author Topic: Drilling call blanks  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Gene @ Liford Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Drilling call blanks
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
Alright guys, I'm looking for a quicker way to drill out my call blanks. I currently drill on my lathe but that can be extremely time consuming. I don't use my drill press because I've screwed up more than I've drilled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline majordog

• New Forum Member
Re: Drilling call blanks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
time consuming...yes....but its the best way to go in my opinion.
Don Anadell  Backyard Custom Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

What kind of blanks are you drilling?  Duck barrels, duck inserts, goose barrels, etc.

Typically there isn't any issues with drilling on a drill press. I do 99% of my barrels on my press. What bit are you using?  Show a pic of your setup and maybe we can see what the issue is.
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
5 minutes is about all it takes on lathe.  What is your process?
Steelbyrd

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:10:33 PM »
I almost always drill on a press. Plenty of extra wood in a 1 1/2" blank to be off center a little.

Brad point bits, like sold by Rockler, help a lot.

Its either accurate on the lathe, or fast on the press.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »
I use my lathe. Seems like I get a straighter bore that way...

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »
So I normally turn all wood deer grunts so I'm drilling out 3/4" and 1/2" holes. I've currently been using Osage because I had an order for 10 Osage  but I use a lot of domestic hardwoods. Oak, red oak, pecan, black walnut and chinaberry. I use a brad point for the 1/2" hole and a regular wood bit for the 3/4" hole. I drill them on my lathe at a relatively high speed.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
I would imagine the high speed on the lathe (at least with the 3/4" bit - if not the 1/2" bit as well) is causing issues.  First - it creating smaller chips that will tend to pack rather than flow out the flutes (causing heat and affecting hole size.  Secondly - the small chips get dragged around with the bit or in the way and your not only rubbing chips on the bore (creating heat) but also re-cutting chips (also creating heat and making even smaller chips).  Thirdly, for a good chip load, at high RPM, the feed of the drill has to be proportionately faster... and wood doesnt handle that well without a very rigid setup (both blank and drill - which a wood lathe with a 3/4" bit - is not).  And with the increased speed and disproportionately slow speed also causes the cutting edge to rub more rather than cut, dulling it.

Accurate and clean hole drilling is one of the more difficult parts of call making.  Oh so often overlooked and underrated.  You have to learn your lathe, drills, and technique for drilling well with your setup - just like you have to with turning, finishing, tone boards, etc...  I know some drill at insanely high speeds compared to what I think is best, but I dont have their equipment either.

I would suggest, 500-700 max RPM with a 1/2" bit and a some what aggressive feed - and peck drilling with full retract to clear the chips often - more often with some woods, and less with others (let the flute packing be your guide).  With a 3/4" bore...  I would go about half that RPM.    If it were me, any drill at 1/2" or larger - I would always use the slowest speed the lathe has.  But everyone has their own style.

That is one issue with a lot of the wood lathes I see... so few of them really go slow enough to make life easier for call makers drilling barrels.  1000-1500 rpm isnt a big issue with a 1/4" drill... but get up there in diameter and it causes drama.  Especially since wood lathes are not inherently accurate or rigid in terms of tail stock to spindle alignment and spindle and quill size.  I wish wood lathe makers would put an extra pulley groove, that would get in the 200 rpm range... that would help a lot of people out, and help make larger drills live longer.

Chucking reamers are another way to get a better surface finish on the bore, as well as a much more accurate bore (spoiler alert - just because a drill bit is a certain size - it does NOT mean thats what size hole you will get).  But the down side of using a chucking reamer is its two operations,  drill undersize by 1/32 or 1/64" and then run the reamer through.  And another issue is again RPM...  reamers are designed to run at about 1/2 the speed of the same size drill, and fed into the material twice as fast.  And I dont know of a standard bench top type lathe that will go down to 75-100 RPM or a quill that allow you to feed the reamer in fast enough to keep things going without having to be as fast as The Flash.  But you can circumvent that some by locking the quill and sliding the whole tail stock body.  That is made possible because chucking reamers follow rather than go out on their own... so the alignment of the tail stock to spindle is less important with a reamer.

If the diameter of the entrance of your hole is larger than the exit, there is an issue...  either with the grind of the drill or the alignment of the bit to the spindle centerline.  If the hole is the same size on both ends, youre in good shape.  But thats a whole different tangent :D

Hope that helps!
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »
Thanks Wade! I'll  try at slow speeds and see how it does.

I'll be ordering a flat jig from you in a few months, wanting to make some real duck calls rather than use echo inserts.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
There seems like there is always a sweet spot for each drill...  sometimes its just a matter of playing around.

Have fun and take notes...  even with drilling.  I dont know how many times I have chased the ideal feed and speed, only to forget it and realize I didnt write it down... only to have to go through the whole process again and again.

Wade

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Drilling on a quality drill press is fast easy and accurate

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
Ive never been a big fan of using a drill press... but it is certainly a good option.
Nice thing about drill presses is that typically, they have a lower RPM range which helps a lot with larger bits.  But it usually needs to be a bigger drill press to get enough quill throw and the lowest of RPM ranges.  But then again, getting one with a 5/8 or 3/4 drill chuck sure comes in handy too.

Wade

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 02:11:38 PM »
WOW THERES ALOT OF PROS @ CONS ON THIS PECULIAR PRESS ........