Author Topic: My First Insert  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
My First Insert
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
Ok guys this is my first ever insert. Used a flat jig. What you think? Any help or ideas with the sound would be appreciated. Made from ABW.

“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
Re: My First Insert
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Well tried to upload a video but can't seem to get it to work.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
Ok so I have a question, I have been playing around with it the past few days and it takes a lot of air to use the call. Could some of the reasons be it not sealing completely as well as the bore hole was to long. Main question I guess would be would changing the length cause me to use slightly less air while trying to use the call?

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 12:32:28 PM »
Having a rough surface on the toneboard can definitely make the call more difficult to blow. Same thing can be said for the length of the exhaust.

My suggestion would be to not modify this insert at all any more. Don't touch it.

Blueprint this one. Get out the caliper and a piece of paper. Draw a sketch of an insert. Measure the insert at every 1/8" station from the notch forward to the tip and measure the thickness at that station- then indicate it on the paper. You've drawn a blueprint of your first successful insert!!!

Then do the same thing with the exhaust hole for this insert.

Next step is to make a duplicate of the first insert and modify it by making the exhaust a different length or dia until it blows the way you want.

Do this again and make the surface much smoother and see what effect it has (my toneboards are sanded to 400grit)

Congrats on getting your first working insert.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. Will do!