Author Topic: Massey Finish  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
Massey Finish
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »

Just finished up a maple burl barrel with a wooden band. This was my second attempt at the Massey Finish. The pictures are before the last coat and buffing.
I used the tutorial to help with the finish only thing I did different was I only used 1/4 epoxy and 3/4 acetone. I also used boiled linseed oil before I applied the finish. I just applied the oil let set for about 5 minutes then cleaned the access off. I applied 5 coats with 2 hours between each coat. The 5 coats are what are pictured. I then left it alone for 24 hours used some super fine 0000 steel wool and applied a 6th coat. I left it alone for another 24 hours then again with the super fine steel wool then I buffed it. 
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline EmilCoversen

• New Forum Member
Re: Massey Finish
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:18 AM »

Just finished up a maple burl barrel with a wooden band. This was my second attempt at the Massey Finish. The pictures are before the last coat and buffing.

That's a really nice finish imo.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:28:38 AM by EmilCoversen »

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
Re: Massey Finish
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
Great looking call.  :bigup: