Author Topic: Finish inside barrels??  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Fat Lip calls

• New Forum Member
Finish inside barrels??
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
Ok all do you finish the inside of barrels or do you all leave the alone. If you finish what steps do you do. I do CA finish on the outside. And what do you do with the inserts (tone board ) finish or leave them alone. Thank you

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Finish inside barrels??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
I start by giving the barrel a soak in Teak Oil which seals the inside then after the teak oil dries I apply my chosen finish to the outside of the barrel. Most of my inserts are stabilized materials.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
I do the same.  A few good soaks in teak oil, proper cure time, a light sand to knock off raised fibers from the oil, and then a CA finish.  I put CA inside the mouth end of the barrel a little bit just for aesthetic reasons so you can't see the unfinished wood inside as easily.
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »
Same approach for me.  Teak oil soak and cure.  Then apply your finish to the outside.  The inside of the call must be sealed as it will be subjected to the most moisture.