Author Topic: Quandry. What the heck is eating this finish?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
Quandry. What the heck is eating this finish?
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »
Howdy call making buddies!  This is a problem that popped up a year ago and I honestly cannot figure out what is wrong with this wood that causes it to eat the finish. ???

It has only happened on 3 calls, made of American and Claro walnut.  something is gradually eating away at the wood finish, and I am stumped. 

These two calls I finished up a year ago and the problem popped up so I set them aside.  Pulled them back out and wow, the finish is deteriorating.  On all of these calls I gave them a pure tung oil finish.  7 coats of a 50/50 mix of citrus solvent and pure tung oil to get the finish down deep into the wood.  Then 7 coats of hot hand rubbed pure tung oil, and allowed to cure for 30 days before waxing.  The problem showed itself when I waxed the calls, as the wax would not adhere to the polluted areas of the wood. 

Here are the calls from a year ago:

Here is a brand new English walnut call with claro walnut burl accents.  I have a pencil pointed at the affected areas.  I have waxed it with 4 coats and it still will not take the wax...

Go figure.   :stickman1:  Something must be in the wood, an acid or something that is eating the tung oil and not allowing the wax to stick. 
Anybody run across such a strange thing??
Doug

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Quandry. What the heck is eating this finish?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »
I have found the same with that wood. Some certain angle of the grain of that wood just not wanting to take finish at all. Can't get it to take spar either.  Nature of the wood. Have to use something that majorly builds on top of the wood, or just deal with it not taking right there. (Visually not taking anyways, I can't believe it is physically not taking. I actually think it is sucking the finish up, but I could easily be wrong)
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
Too bad you can't figure out if the wood is going to do that before you make the call.  What to look for...  ??

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
Its the really dark spots that kinda look to be end grain. You could turn a blank round and spray it or wipe it quick with a glossy finish to see where/if there are issues.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls