Author Topic: Insert Nightmare's  (Read 2921 times)

Offline CGHarp

• New Forum Member
Insert Nightmare's
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:21:13 PM »
Ok. It's been a year and I am still having trouble producing a quality sound insert. I've read, watched, and practiced but I'm missing something somewhere. Does anyone have a recommended video or tutorial? Also, is there anyone close to Lake Charles that might mentor or show me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks! Look forward to any help I can get!! :stickman1:

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Insert Nightmare's
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
A few options here...  I'm nowhere near Lake Charles, but if you're ever in the Monroe area let me know.  I'd be happy to help you as much as I can.

Also, the Louisiana Callmakers & Collectors Association is having their annual get-together in Pinevile on 4/29/17.  There'll be a lot of seasoned callmakers there who could give you advice.

Lastly, post up some pics here of your inserts (with and without the reed).  You'll likely get a lot of feedback to get you pointed in the right direction.

Offline CGHarp

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »
Thanks!! I would love to make the event but I have work I cannot get out of. I will post some insert photos and see what feedback I get . Thanks again!!

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
It took me a year, but not two years, to get good sounding inserts from a block of wood.  It was worth it.  I still don't use a jig.

Post up some picks of your better attempts.

At some point it goes from lame, to Wow!
Steelbyrd