Author Topic: Flat Jig  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
Flat Jig
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
Well guys I am about to start the journey of making my own insert. I have found a barrel design that I like. Here is a picture of the most recent barrel I have finished for and gave to a friend. Just wanting to know what would be the best place to get a flat jig.

“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
Re: Flat Jig
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
I carry them at WEBFoot Custom Calls.  Presently have the standard in stock - which has a .335" deck height (distance from bottom of tenon to flat sound board surface).  I am adding a new model here soon, which will have a 350" deck height for those wanting it.  Im hoping to have some in made here in the next week or so (and the new PJ3 to follow shortly after that).

River Mallard is another - and I think I remember him having a flat jig though Im not seeing it on his website.... his are two piece jigs.  Well made from what I remember of the one I have seen in person.  I can not speak as to the material he uses or the heat treat process after milling of the two halves.  The two halves are located accurately in his design rather than just relying on the bolt holes.

WEBFoot jigs (all of them from the public jigs to customs) are made out of quality tool steel, through hardened to 61-64Rc (depending on batch sample testing), and then - after hardening - I cut the jigs on a wire edm so that there is no movement of the profile (metal moves during heat treat - and cutting this way eliminates that variable).  They are a one piece design which allows for a narrower pedestal (the distance from the back of the jig to the back of the cork notch - which is .200" on all of the public jigs) as compared to the two piece jigs out there that have to have more material in that area to house the SHCS that hold the two halves together.  Some peoples designs can work on either type of jig.  But if you are aiming at a shorter overall keg length - youll have to have extra length for the two piece jigs.  I think that the typical pedestal on his two piece jigs is around .375" or a touch more.

A flat jig is a smart place to start as you get rid of a lot of the outside influences that can be imparted when you start from a public style... though you have to be ready for the added effort that will take.  You will learn more in the long run, and become a better call maker because of it.

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:53 AM »
Sent you an email thanks Wade for the reply.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
Thanks again for the jig got it today in the mail going to start using it as soon as I get some wood to play around with. Thanks.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Glad it made it in good time.  Hope you enjoy.
Just remember in this game... persistence pays off...  and so does taking notes :D
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D