Author Topic: Drill Press w/ Enough Travel?????  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Drill Press w/ Enough Travel?????
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »
What does everyone use for a drill press so they can drill their blanks in one pass without adjusting the table?  I'm thinking something with 4" of travel or so?

I bought a cheap one from harbor freight for $65 or so I think.  It's a decent drill press, but not what I want for drilling calls.  By the time I put a vise on the table, there's no room to put the blank.  But if I remove the table and put the vise on the base, the bit won't reach!  I'm sure I could come up with a way to make it work, but I'd prefer to just buy a press that will allow me to do it without monkeying and having to move the blank between drills.

Thanks!

Michael
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Drill Press w/ Enough Travel?????
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Porter Cable has the cheapest one with a long enough quill travel. Sold through Lowes. Other than that, you are talking some bigger money for a bigger press such as a Jet or bigger Grizzly.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Check with "Woodcraft". They offer more than one model with a long quill travel.

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
You can lengthen the pipe that connects the drill to the base . I did it when I first started making calls. That press was a craftsman press . The pipe was a bastard size so I had it machined for a case of beer. Made it about 36" and I still use it.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
I WISH I COULD HELP WITH A SUGGESTION BUT I CAN'T
I Don't GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH With THE DRILL BIT ON ....

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »
I gave up on that and drill on my lathe. Much better option IMO.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »

I think that option would be easier as well, but I haven't been able to get reliable holes when I do it this way.  I think my blanks are just barely off square so when I clamp them in my 4 jaw they don't spin true.  My other thought it so round the blank between centers and then clamp it in the 4 jaw and see if that gets me better results.  Just haven't had time to play lately  :wacko:
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
You can lengthen the pipe that connects the drill to the base . I did it when I first started making calls. That press was a craftsman press . The pipe was a bastard size so I had it machined for a case of beer. Made it about 36" and I still use it.

Larry

I had never thought of that option Larry.  I may have to give that a try.  I'd still have to adjust the table between drills, but at least I'd have room to put the blank in the vise and hold it steady.  Readjusting the table wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world; pretty easy to line the bit up with the existing hole..  Thanks for the help!

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »

I think that option would be easier as well, but I haven't been able to get reliable holes when I do it this way.  I think my blanks are just barely off square so when I clamp them in my 4 jaw they don't spin true.  My other thought it so round the blank between centers and then clamp it in the 4 jaw and see if that gets me better results.  Just haven't had time to play lately  :wacko:

I drill on the lathe all the time even though I have a mill. After I drill the hole I place the blank on an expanding mandrel and turn the barrel relative to the hole. I hold the mandrel in a collet chuck. No runout ever!

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:24 AM »
With the longer pipe I am able to raise and lower my table where ever I want it cause the table attachment rides on the pipe.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »

I drill on the lathe all the time even though I have a mill. After I drill the hole I place the blank on an expanding mandrel and turn the barrel relative to the hole. I hold the mandrel in a collet chuck. No runout ever!

Fred

I'm wondering if that's part of my problem.  I've got an expanding mandrel with 2MT that I put right in the headstock.  The headstock doesn't accommodate a drawbar, but it has a collar nut that slips over the mandrel and threads to the headstock.  The mandrel has a small lip that this collar rides on.  I'm wondering if the mandrel just isn't quite true...

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Get a collet chuck and a straight mandrel. End of problems!

You can probably sell your existing mandrel on THO or on eBay. Straight mandrels run about $30 plus shipping. I got mine from Webfoot. Quality tool. PSI has a good collet chuck and I believe they are on sell right now.

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and ordered a PSI collet chuck and a 5.8" straight shank expanding mandrel today...  I'm going to be doing a whole lot of playing next weekend!!  Thanks for everyone's insights.  If I'm still struggling you'll hear from me again!

B.Meuchel

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »
Instead of using your 4 jaw to hold the blank for drilling, look at a pen blank jaws for drilling. They have a set at PSI. they only hold two corners of the blank and it centers up much easier.