Author Topic: Another Question  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
Another Question
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
Ok ran into a problem this weekend. I was working on three barrels and I did something new. I normally wait until the vary end to place the band on the barrel and I use epoxy to do this with as I have been buying bands from Ron with a name on them. This past weekend I got some brass to work with and instead of waiting until the end I placed the bands on the barrels before I finished so that I could shape the brass to the call. I got all the way done with the shape, sanding and finish then when I went to buff the calls  the buffing wheels started to turn black. Is this because the brass is burning the buffing wheels? If so what has been a way that you have either gotten around burning the wheels so that you do not have black on the finish or would you still wait until the end to epoxy the bands on then shape the band hoping you don't screw up the finish. Little tips or tricks would be helpful.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Another Question
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
Don't believe that's burning but the tarnish coming off the brass band.  Basically, you're polishing the brass band and the tarnish is getting on the buffing wheel and then transferred to the barrel.  I personally still glue on the band after the barrel is finished to avoid this.

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »
Oooooo know I feel  :stickman1:
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:20 AM »
James is right. That wheel has metal on it. Use it for polishing metal, but it's useless for wood.

A few other options-

Have your finish cover your band as well - will prevent the wheel from metal contamination and prevent brass from tarnishing in the future. (Really only works with poly or CA finishes)

Tape over your band while polishing.

Polish/buff without any abrasive.

I actually do all the above at different times.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline Scott Ward

• New Forum Member
  • Steelbyrd
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »
Some used 600 grit with sawdust embedded in it can polish that band up pretty good sometimes.
Steelbyrd

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
Thanks. I covered the band while buffing the CA finish and that worked pretty well. I also tried my hand at the Massey finish this past weekend and I am almost done with the barrel will post some photos and info on the steps I took to do it fine anyone wants the info when I'm finished with the call.

Offline KyleOBryan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
Do you apply the band before soaking the call in oil?  I have been waiting until after the 24 hour dry to apply the band.

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
I have yet to soak a barrel in oil. I have only been using a CA finish and now a Massey finish. I haven't had time the past few days to finish up the last barrel with the Massey. Once I am done with it I'll post the steps I took and a few pictures of it. If it helps you Kyle. If I have been skipping a step and need to be using some type of oil for the calls please let me know I am new to this.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:33 AM »
I have yet to soak a barrel in oil. I have only been using a CA finish and now a Massey finish. I haven't had time the past few days to finish up the last barrel with the Massey. Once I am done with it I'll post the steps I took and a few pictures of it. If it helps you Kyle. If I have been skipping a step and need to be using some type of oil for the calls please let me know I am new to this.

How are you sealing the inside of the call? An unsealed inside of the barrel  is  a direct moisture path into the barrel wood and your breath has a lot of moisture in it.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
I finished the inside with a q tip

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
The point is that the call should also be finished inside . Some of us soak the call in Teak oil, first, to seal  the inside and provide a base for another finish on the outside. I personally use Tru Oil as my final outside finish. Others use Velvit Oil to do the same thing.

I assume you used your Q tip to also finish the inside of the call barrel with the Massey finish and that should work just fine.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
Yea CA and Massey both did the Q-Tip on the inside of the call.