Author Topic: Finishes  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
Finishes
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:30:17 AM »
Ok I have read and researched a lot and have been doing CA with the satilite city accelerator. This seems to work pretty well and with me being new I just want to make sure this is the best thing and really just want to know if this is the most durable thing to use.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline Greg at PTDO Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
CA definitely makes for a shiny call. Over time and with heavy use it can crack or chip. There are a lot of other alternatives out there. Oils, wax, friction polishes, etc. I have started using General Finish's Arm-R-Seal on bowls and flat work lately I haven't tried it on a call yet but plan to soon. It comes out very glossy but it is a time consuming process.

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »
I'm going to to try the Massey finish and see how that goes. Getting a note book soon ha.
“Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »
Lots of options out there for finishes.  CA is a good one, but, as Greg said, it will show wear over time in the form of scratches and chips.  I personally don't do CA for this reason and the fact that mine at least give the call a "plastic" feel that I don't like. 

A good working finish is to submerge in teak oil or Velvit oil for a day, wipe down and hang to dry then buff.

Dipping in spar thinned with mineral spirits is also a good finish to get a glossy shine.  It takes some practice to get it to finish without runs/drips but is also a great working finish.

Teak oil and spar are my two finishes of choice.  But, the Massey finish is on my short list of things to try.  For those who use it, it produces the high gloss of CA/spar but seems to also offer high durability. 

I would avoid the friction polishes.  They produce a shiny finish pretty quickly.  But they dull pretty quickly too with handling and aren't a good working finish.

Offline Palmetto Flyway

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Thanks!

Offline KyleOBryan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:49:46 PM »
You wipe down the call before hanging to dry?  No wonder mine has bubbled and has excess runnin off of it when I go to wax :turned:

Offline KyleOBryan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »
What do you normally wipe it down with?

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:26 PM »
What do you normally wipe it down with?

Kyle, I'm assuming you're talking about the oil finish I described above?  If so, I'm just wiping the call down with an old cotton t-shirt.  Any kind of lint-free cloth should work though.  It's just to prevent the runs you mentioned.