Author Topic: 50/50 pot calls  (Read 2489 times)

Offline Evan @ CBC Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
50/50 pot calls
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »
I recently noticed an odd trend in several pots I've built lately.  The call will sound great using a certain area of the call surface, then sound terrible on another...sometimes really high and screechy, sometimes very low and flat.  For example, the call might play great from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock, then is high and screechy around the rest of the call surface. 

I've got a few theories as to why this is happening:

1)I recently switched from liquid nails to e6000.  I don't think I've seen this issue with liquid nails.

2)I'm not getting a solid bead of glue all the way around the lip of the call surface

3)I'm not getting a solid bead gluing the soundboard to the pedestal.  To clarify, I've noticed that my soundboards are taking an excessively long period of time to set up.  In checking whether the glue has setup, I'm likely creating gaps in the glue bead.

I'm curious to hear thoughts on this, especially if anybody has encountered and fixed this problem themselves.  Thanks!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: 50/50 pot calls
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:42:34 AM »
Are you using spacers between your sound board and your pot while the sound board dries?  If not, you need to. Toothpicks will work. If you are not doing that, the board is slipping because the glue is so slick, and it dries touching the inside of the pot on one side.

I give my boards overnight with toothpicks in place to dry good.

If you are spacering your board, I would say you have excess glue laying around drying in a glob under the board.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I do not use spacers but i'm pretty sure the soundboards were not moving.  One of the calls in question had a glass surface so I could see the soundboard was positioned well.

I'm blaming the soundboard not setting up well enough.  With a little work, I was able to disassemble three of the calls last night.  Found the soundboards were extremely easy to work loose.  Assembled again with liquid nails and now they sound great.  My theory is the tung oil I used to seal the inside of the call had not yet fully cured and caused problems with the E6000 bonding. 

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
Hi Evan - It most likely was the E6000 not curing properly.  I used E6000 for years as a "glue", like you would with silicon sealant.  Then I actually read the instructions for it and realized I'd been using it wrong (which I still do), E6000 is CONTACT ADHESIVE.  They want you to apply it to both parts, let that dry for 2 to 10 minutes, then put the parts together without sliding.

I've used it a number of times correctly, and it dries very quickly.  When I use it as a glue and simply apply it then put the pieces together it takes 2 to 4 days to dry, sometimes longer.

Happy turning - Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
Very interesting, Tom!  Thanks for the insight!