Author Topic: Toneboard again  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Mirco Perricone

• New Forum Member
Toneboard again
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »
Hello to all boys. First of all I apologize for my English but I write from Italy and do not know English very well and I'm using google translator 😃 I'm new in the forum and I'm reading a little of topic. I'm starting to make calls and to do a bit of firewood but have a good SOUND / price ratio is fine as maple wood? :stickman1:

B Hoover

Re: Toneboard again
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
Welcome to the site, Mirco!  Tell us more about yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" section.  It's good to hear that you are getting the sound you are after.  I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the last part of your question.

Offline Mirco Perricone

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
Where can I introduce myself? Excuse my English 😃 I want to find the right sound but before I will surely find a lot of firewood, maple is fine because it is cheap, but if I were to find the measures in a tone board Maple, And if I make a acrylic tone board change much the sound? V:huh:

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Mirco!

I think you are asking if maple is a good material for toneboards. Yes, for learning, Maple can be a good material to learn on, but stick to straight grain wood with out any 'figure' or 'curve' in the grain. Walnut would also be a good choice for practice from your part of the world. There are other good choices, but I don't believe they would be as easy to procure in Italy.

Acrylic is a very good material for toneboards, Acetal/Delrin is also. However, they are not good materials to learn on due to their hardness and other working characteristics.
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
Olive wood also makes great call barrels and inserts/ toneboards.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Mirco Perricone

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. Ok then I will spare maple, walnut and olive 😃😂 say that this year I hunted with the calls that I have done in acrylic and they gave me a lot of satisfaction but it is not yet the right tone! I will not waste acrylic because bringing it over Italian coast a lot. I'll try with this wood. Thank you  :2up: