Author Topic: Newbie pedestal questions  (Read 3000 times)

Brian Burns

Newbie pedestal questions
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
I've just started to build pot calls and have been helped greatly by all of the detailed info on these forums. I'm still a little confused by the general pedestal concepts though. It seems that some people turn their pedestals as donuts, some as () and some quarter theirs. How do those different styles effect sound? I've been turning mine to about 1.25" outside diameter and .25" or so wide (for a 3" soundboard); is that about right? How does the diameter and width of the pedestal generally effect the sound? I've tried splitting the pedestal in quarters and keeping it as a donut and can't quite hear a difference. That might just be my new ears though. Any thoughts? Thanks for all the great info, Brian

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Newbie pedestal questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:22 AM »
Changing one component of your pot call design changes everything else.

I say often "everything effects everything".

It sounds like you are at the point in this where your besr bet is to make one single change to a pot, and one single change to the next and next and next. That way you find your own go-to design. There are so many options because many work. But are you trying for a 7 out of 10 pot, or a 9.5?

If you leave holes in your pedistal, it allows sound to bounce around in the call more, and then linger to escape other places.  I think along the lines of my sound shooting bouncy balls through the striking surface, and then bouncing all over trying to escape the pot, while some percentage is caught by the pot.

It is a misconception that larger holes in the bottom of the pot will make louder and more crisp turky sounds. Nope, doesn't work that way. This part of the puzzle alone boggles the mind. Now start adding and deleting extra holes within the pot. Crazy things can happen.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Brian Burns

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »
Thanks for that. Ideally I'm shooting for a 9.5 but know I have many hundreds of turnings ahead of me. This may be opening a whole new can of worms but....what are the theories behind hole spacing with regards to the diameter that those holes occupy? I've messed around with this (always using 8 x 1/4" holes) pushing closer and farther from the pedestal. Do most people center these in the space between the ped and the inner wall? I've found that I slightly prefer the sound as the holes push out towards the edge of the call but what do I know?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
Ha!  You do know a lot!  You know what you like!  And the thing about pot calls is, different ears like different things. You are looking to make a pot call with sound that pleases the most PEOPLE ears. They will all bring in gobblers in the mood. :)

One more step in expanding your thoughts on the 9.5..... don't just strive for a 9.5. Strive for knowing how to make a 9.5 every time you spin a pot out of every kind of material you want to use. That will keep you on your toes for the rest of your life! 

Ever been to a turkey call maker's booth at an outdoor show, and picked up several of their pots, and found all of them to be 9.5's?  I have not. Best average I have ever found in person was about a 6-7. ;)
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls