Author Topic: Help with layering wood  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Mark McConnell

• New Forum Member
Help with layering wood
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
I would guess that there is an existing topic on this question that I can't find - I must be using the wrong search terms. My apologies for starting a new topic!

My question is this - If I want to layer wood, say Cocobolo, ABW, Cocobolo, on a call, how do I go about gluing the pieces together? Can I simply cut pieces the sizes I want, glue them together and turn? Do I need to do tenons to put them together? I saw a tutorial using tenons with inlaid metal, but I'm not looking to do any metal, just different woods. I hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance for the advice or simply being pointed to the correct existing topic.  :thanks:

Mark

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: Help with layering wood
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »

A butt joint (end grain to end grain) is a joint that will fail. Avoid them at all costs. That's why guys do tenons.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Mark McConnell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
Any good tutorials on how to do these? Totally new aspect of woodworking for me.

Thanks,

Mark

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:24:33 PM »
Another option is to use a solid core and glue the rings to each other and the core. Then drill the core. Think donuts on a dowel!   I have seen several antique calls built this way.

Fred
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:26:44 PM by FDR »
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?