Author Topic: copper call questions  (Read 2830 times)

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
copper call questions
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:57:43 PM »
ordered some copper 3 1/2 pieces, wondering what is a good sound board for it, and do you use the same diamentions for copper, that you use for slate and glass, between sound board and bottom of playing surface?
Danny Lang

Areid

Re: copper call questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:54 AM »
I prefer to use a hard glass for my sound boards. They are pretty loud calls that reach out but can also be played pretty soft if done correctly. I mostly only make copper, but I have made a few crystal calls in the same dimensions that sounded great also.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:39 AM »
Any sound board material will work.  To me, copper is unforgiving when running.  You either good or your bad.  That said, copper playing surfaces creates a higher pitch, almost a "screechy" sound.  With that, I prefer to utilize a wooden sound board or slate under my copper to bring the pitch down a bit and make it a bit more forgiving.  It's all preference.  You'll have to make a few different combinations and find what sounds best to you.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »
YOUR dimensions SHOULD STAY ABOUT THE SAME ............

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
Use an acrylic striker on it and you wont have any screechy problems, and it will run very easily.  Wood pegs! And wood substitutes run difficult on it.