Author Topic: Grey Teal Challenge  (Read 2955 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Grey Teal Challenge
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
So, I had a customer in Australia contact me recently with a request.  He had ordered a mallard hen and a blue wing teal call back in 2015.  He stated he loves both calls but wanted to know if I could make two more teal calls to specifically target the grey teal they have in Australia.  He explained that while the blue wing teal call I made him works on the grey teal and they respond well to it, the grey teal has a deeper and raspier sound than our blue wing variety.  I accepted his request and, using his description as well as some grey teal sound files I found on the internet, I got to work.  After turning the calls to shape, I played around with various JC reed sets until I created what thought was a close match to the sound files of live ducks.  I sent him a sound file of both my blue wing teal call and the new grey teal call via Facebook to get his feedback. (Turns out Facebook is good for more than just political posts and pics of duck calls… who knew!)   :yes:  Anyway, he loved the sounds these calls achieved and they’ll be shipping out soon.

Some things I learned in my research… Grey Teal are only found in New Zealand and Australia.  Also, according to my Aussie friend, there are no commercially produced grey teal calls.  So, I may have both cornered and saturated the global grey teal call market with these two calls!   ::)

Clear stabilized buckeye burl with oil finish.

B Hoover

Re: Grey Teal Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
That's awesome, James!  Did you make one for yourself?  I'd love to hear a sound file before you ship them off.

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »
Very cool project! Well done. You've broken callmaking boundaries in more than one meaning of the word!
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
Thanks, guys.

B... I made a sound file to send to the customer to make sure the sound was ok.  According to him, the sound is spot on... but my calling is all wrong for grey teal!  LOL  So, he's agreed to send me a video of the "Australian" way to call a grey teal.   I'll see if I can link it here on THO somehow when he does. 

Offline JP ( liljohn ) Wilkinson

• New Forum Member
  • Soggy Bottom Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:48:15 PM »
Beautiful calls...

B Hoover

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
So, he's agreed to send me a video of the "Australian" way to call a grey teal.   I'll see if I can link it here on THO somehow when he does.

Awesome!  Beautiful job.