Author Topic: sound board question  (Read 9262 times)

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
sound board question
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »
anybody out there use a feeler guage to check height of there diamention  from top of sound board to the bottom of there playing surface.
Danny Lang

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: sound board question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »
What I do is this. When I cut the inside of my pot and leave my pedastal the same height as the land . Then I reduce the pedastal approximately 3/16 or so and use a sound board to fine tune where I want my sound board exactly using the land as my mark. The land should be the bottom of your striking surface.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »
thanks larry

Offline rodney gillikin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:30:29 AM »
I use a set of dial calipers , cut my land for the top surface , then I have a piece of medal cut to fit that surface land ,  just bid enough so I can reach from one side to the other, set my calipers to the thickness of the medal to zero, set a sound board on the pedestal ,use the tail end of the caliper to measure down . hope this make senses
Pure T Momicked Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 06:45:20 AM »
Sacrifice one of each of the surfaces and sound boards that you use.

Lightly Goop two sound boards together for the distance between the top of the pedistal and the shelf for the striking surface.  Glass works good so you can clearly see what's going on underneath.  Again, just lightly Goop right in the middle.  If that is too tight in to your striking surface for you, use one regular weight glass, and one double weight glass.

Take all of these sacrifice peices (they can be ones that were chipped for what ever reason. 70-80 percent round will still even work.  Anything over 50 percent in tact really.

Then, here is the trick. Take a chunk of full size roll duct tape. A 1/2" chunk, full width. Imagine it in fourths. Stick the first fourth to the center of the surface. Then fold the two center fourths together. Then attach the fourth fourth center to the surface right beside the first fourth.

This makes a set of true to size, true to material gauges for on the lathe checking, off the lathe checking, etc. and no fumbling of insert or removal to size-check.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:49:01 AM by VECtor Calls »
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
VECtor you kinda lost me there with the duct tape, i understand using broken or chipped pieces for a guage. but the tape i do not understand. :helpsmilie:
Danny Lang

Offline K.Ruge calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
DUCT TAPE

B.Meuchel

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »
Use the tape as a handle on your SB. kinda like an upside down T. The middle two quarters are sticky side together and the outside quarters are stuck to the SB. Hope this helps

Offline dannylang

• New Forum Member
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
got ya!
Danny Lang

Offline Abe mccarty

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 09:46:42 PM »
I used to program lasers in a metal fab shop and made .180×3" washers to use as spacers. I had started with 7ga but it seemed a bit close.  Otherwise I used to take 2 pieces of aluminum glue together and cut a hole in the center that should be close to the spacing and also a count for glue

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
I cut my land 1st.  Then start hogging out the guts of the call.  Leaving material for the pedistal.   When I cut it, I set my dial caliper to depth,  hold whatever I'm using for the soundboard on the pedistal firmly, with the soundboard touching the side of the inside of pot.  Measure down from land to top of soundboard.