The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Turkey Calls

sound board question

(1/3) > >>

dannylang:
anybody out there use a feeler guage to check height of there diamention  from top of sound board to the bottom of there playing surface.
Danny Lang

Prairie Game Calls:
What I do is this. When I cut the inside of my pot and leave my pedastal the same height as the land . Then I reduce the pedastal approximately 3/16 or so and use a sound board to fine tune where I want my sound board exactly using the land as my mark. The land should be the bottom of your striking surface.

Larry

dannylang:
thanks larry

rodney gillikin:
I use a set of dial calipers , cut my land for the top surface , then I have a piece of medal cut to fit that surface land ,  just bid enough so I can reach from one side to the other, set my calipers to the thickness of the medal to zero, set a sound board on the pedestal ,use the tail end of the caliper to measure down . hope this make senses

VECtor Calls:
Sacrifice one of each of the surfaces and sound boards that you use.

Lightly Goop two sound boards together for the distance between the top of the pedistal and the shelf for the striking surface.  Glass works good so you can clearly see what's going on underneath.  Again, just lightly Goop right in the middle.  If that is too tight in to your striking surface for you, use one regular weight glass, and one double weight glass.

Take all of these sacrifice peices (they can be ones that were chipped for what ever reason. 70-80 percent round will still even work.  Anything over 50 percent in tact really.

Then, here is the trick. Take a chunk of full size roll duct tape. A 1/2" chunk, full width. Imagine it in fourths. Stick the first fourth to the center of the surface. Then fold the two center fourths together. Then attach the fourth fourth center to the surface right beside the first fourth.

This makes a set of true to size, true to material gauges for on the lathe checking, off the lathe checking, etc. and no fumbling of insert or removal to size-check.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version