Author Topic: Pintail P3,  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Charley Herman

• New Forum Member
Pintail P3,
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:37:31 AM »
I have been attempting to turn a working call since December using the pintail P3 jig to no avail.  Best I have got so far is with very light blowing it will vibrate the reed, but any real pressure at all and no noise at all.  I have went through around 10 reeds so far and turned about 8 inserts in an attempt to get one to work. 

I have followed specs I found in various areas on the web, but still can't seem to get a call to even come close to what I would call working. 

Anyone using this jig have any advice?

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Pintail P3,
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
You may want to post up some pics of the toneboard you're working on with and without the reed in it.  You'd probably get some good feedback on what to adjust or try out.

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
Honestly........and with all due respect to the Pintail group....the three jigs I've seen from them have been junk. For someone starting out....I would high recommend against purchasing one starting out.

-T

"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
Here are the tuning basics from our tutorial section.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,15814.0.html

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Charley Herman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:13 PM »
http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/cherma2/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here are the photos I had on hand.  None have a reed in the insert.

what JIG is a good one that is beginner friendly?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:31:59 PM by Charley Herman »

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »
Only guessing since I can't really see it, but try lengthening the tone channel and a longer reed.  How large have you drilled out the exhaust?
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:04:31 PM »
Looks like your tone channel is really short. Try lengthening it 1/8", then in 1/32" increments.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Charley Herman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
The guy at pintail told me to take it to 4/10's from end of the board. That is what I did,  I have made some progress it makes noise but locks up when I blow hard.  I have tried shortening the reeds to the point it didn't work, so that wasn't the problem

Offline LagrueCustomCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
Looked at all your pictures.

In the photo with 2 endpieces-
Maple - Tone channel is too long
Purple heart - Tone channel is too short
On right - Tone channel is too short and very off center, maybe even off enough to prevent operation.

The other issue I see in the photos - your toneboard is terribly jagged/bumpy. The surface the reed sits on must be perfect. Most people sand at least to a surface with 320, I go to 400. If it is not smooth with 400 grit, its not really good enough. The smoothness of the surface determines the amount of air leakage under the reed - you don't want a bumpy surface.

You spent a lot of time sanding and perfecting the outside shape of your calls to make them the right shape and smooth (you did a nice job!) Spend 5 times as much on the toneboard!

BTW, Keep at it. You will get there and will make something good. Every callmaker worth his salt has been down this path!  :bigup:
There's a duck call in that block of wood. I just have to find it!

Offline Charley Herman

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:58:43 AM »
Looked at all your pictures.

In the photo with 2 endpieces-
Maple - Tone channel is too long
Purple heart - Tone channel is too short
On right - Tone channel is too short and very off center, maybe even off enough to prevent operation.

The other issue I see in the photos - your toneboard is terribly jagged/bumpy. The surface the reed sits on must be perfect.

the purple heart is to the exact specs i was given from pintail for the p3 jig actually is is the only one that is 4/10's from end of channel to board. 
it is the closest i have come to making an insert sound right.. i will try sanding it smoother and see if that is the missing link though :)
thanks for the feedback, im going to add some finished calls to the same link above in a few min, if you want to see some barrels i have finished.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:40 AM »
Charley, my suggestion is to use the measurements you get from Pintail as a guide.  They will probably get you pretty close to a working call.  But, you'll likely need to tweak the measurements for your specific calls and the sounds you're looking for.  It's been posted on many a thread in this forum that "everything affects everything" regarding sound.  Meaning, one small change in any one dimension will affect how the call operates and sounds.  So, based on how you make your calls and the sound your looking for, you'll have to find the "sweet spot" of dimensions that work best for you.  It can be a very long process.  And, I'm betting even the most seasoned of call makers still have improvements they want to make in their toneboards.

Try adjusting one measurement at a time and see how it affects your call's sounds and usability.  Then, once you get that particular measurement where it sounds the best, start adjusting another measurement, etc. etc.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
A public jig is NOT suppose to be a finish product.  It is SUPPOSE to be a learning tool to help you learn what makes a call work and what doesn't then you make your own jig.  !!!!Learning tool!!!!!  I see way to many that think they will buy a public jig and that's all there is to it. 

You are where you need to be with what you have sir.  You have a basic curvature in which to work with to learn.  Continue to turn wood, document changes, and cut tone boards to find what makes a duck call work.

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.