Author Topic: Filling holes in call barrels???  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Michael @ RK Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Filling holes in call barrels???
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »
I was turning a barrel out of some old black walnut I got from my grandpa and I turned down far enough that I got to some parts where bugs had eaten the wood.  This doesn't bother me too much, and I think it actually gives it some character, except for one of the holes goes all the way through the barrel (the perfectly circular hole in the picture).  I use thin CA and tried squirting some in the hole to fill it, but it was still thick enough that it wouldn't penetrate the small hole.  (It looks bigger in the pic than it is.  Propbably about the size of a roller ball pen tip.)  I'd prefer not to use wood filler because it will give me a different color.  Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks,

Michael

“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Filling holes in call barrels???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
I would put a piece of tape inside the call over the hole. Then mix saw dust and CA together and fill the hole. It does add character to the call.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »
Good advice from Larry.  I've also just filled holes like that with clear CA so that you can see through it after the call is finished. 

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
James, any tips on getting the CA to penetrate?  The problem I ran into is that it just kind of beeded up on top of the hole rather than getting down in it.  I may try getting some of the dust together and making the CA "paste" Larry mentioned as well.

Thanks fellas!
“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy” - General James "Mad Dog" Mattis

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
James, any tips on getting the CA to penetrate?  The problem I ran into is that it just kind of beeded up on top of the hole rather than getting down in it.  I may try getting some of the dust together and making the CA "paste" Larry mentioned as well.

Thanks fellas!

I've always just pressed the CA bottle tip to the hole and squeezed it in under pressure.  I do this before I sand the call.  This way I can turn the barrel back to shape after the CA dries.  Repeat this process until it's completely filled.  Then, sand and finish as usual.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
Thanks James.  I'll have to give that a try.  I might even have a smaller tip laying around that would fit into the hole.

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
Stick Fast brand makes a black CA glue that I use for filling these types of issues on black walnut calls.  When filled, sanded, and finished it gives a call a rich natural look that I love. 
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

Offline JCurren

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:04:13 PM »
I've mixed a few drops of black transtint dye with epoxy and pushed that into worm holes. Obviously leaves a black spot to highlight rather than hide the hole. Worked well for the flame box elder wood I was using.
"We enjoy the process far more than the proceeds."  Warren Buffett